Scenario Is there a way to configure a stationary external camera view midflight?

Gothmog

Reaction score
As GIFs seem to the social media rage these days, I wanted to build a couple using Orbiter screenshots or video clips. (I'm assuming it's OK for me to do this as my only objective is to amuse a couple of friends online; if it isn't, will Martin or somebody please advise.)

I would like to create one GIF in which the visual would be a spacecraft becoming visible as a point, in the distance, and then zooming by the observer, in much the same way the Enterprise was shown speeding towards the viewer in the opening title sequence of the original Star Trek series. I'll want to create another GIF in which the spacecraft zooms away from the viewer. An easy semi-acceptable version of this GIF would be simply to have a ground based camera track the spacecraft from the launch point, but I would prefer to do this variation in mid-flight as well.

So either way I need to have a stationary camera view positioned and oriented just a bit off from where my spacecraft will be a short time later; and I also need to have the camera maintain position rather than tracking the spacecraft.

Is there a camera setting that allows this? I realize that the velocity needed to achieve even a suborbital trajectory from Earth is probably too high for this to be feasible, but I might be able to make it work from a small moon or asteroid. The launch origin is immaterial to the visual effect I would like to create.

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I can suggest an high altitude ground camera, without target tracking and to run simulation at 0.1x time acceleration: you might have enough time to see your spacecraft passing by

Gothmog

Reaction score
That sounds feasible.

I'm thinking I could do something like this:

1. Start my flight
  2. Pause and save the scenario a minute or so in (ideally, well before burnout but far enough into the flight that it "looks like space")
  3. Maybe two seconds later, pause and save the flight again
  4. Use the current position from step 3 to set up position of camera
  5. Restart scenario from point (2) and switch to camera at postition (3)
  6. DUCK!

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
7. post the Gif :lol:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
There was a method, but I haven't check it with the new version of Orbiter.

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3657"]Orbiter Fly-By Camera[/ame]