Flight Question ISS to moon

wil

Reaction score
Is it possible to throw the ISS out of earth orbit and put it into a stable moon orbit. I have been able to successfullly de-orbit the ISS with a XR-2 attached.

Fisherman

Reaction score
I've done it with two DGIV's attached. Had a time keeping it going straight but got 'er there.

CaptainComic

Reaction score
This probably isn't what you're looking for, but this could easily be done with the Scenario Editor.

Wrangler

Document Skimmer
Reaction score
I don't see why it would not be possible, unless ISS is the orbiter also simulate structural stress. I don't think it would be possible with the real ISS. and on that note, how would you calculate the TLI burn? Will the IMFD or TransX take into account the additional mass of the station, when they calculate the required DeltaV? Will Mass even be a factor (though it would not be much of a challenge if this was not a factor)?

Just a rant.

Thanks.

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
One of my sources (a Norwegian spaceflight magazine) stated that it is actually plans of sending some modules of ISS to lunar orbit after the ISS as an entirety is retired. An orbit that was discussed, was a langrange point 60 000 km above the Moon's surface, where it would function as a comminucation "sattelite" for spacecraft on the back side of the Moon and a laboratory.

MattBaker

Reaction score
Problem with that is the high radiation. Additional shielding would be needed if you want to have people living there for 6 months like it's now, otherwise they come home with cancer...

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The ISS most certainly could reach the moon, even with existing, real-life propulsion systems. It's only a matter of fuel. If you have an efficient enough engine, less fuel is needed. If you use a less efficient engine, you just need to have more fuel mass available. Tsiolkovsky's rocket equation describes the relationship between mass, fuel amount (mass), and engine efficiency. If you could properly plan the trajectory, you could use an ion engine and a few kilograms of say, Helium, and push the ISS into a translunar trajectory over the course of months. In fact, a communications satellite used this very method to reach Geostationary orbit, it thrusted for months, went around the moon, then settled back into Geostationary orbit. If you want to get there quicker and use a more conventional engine, you just need enough fuel to make the burn.

Another concern is attitude control. Unless you can point your thrust vector through the center of mass of the station, you'll induce a torque which would have to be compensated for, which would require greater fuel.

So to answer the question, yes, it's possible to fly the ISS to the moon.

michaeldim

The Dread Pirate
Reaction score
Problem with that is the high radiation. Additional shielding would be needed if you want to have people living there for 6 months like it's now, otherwise they come home with cancer...

One would assume that you would de-crew the ISS during the transfer process.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Transferring the ISS to the module or partial modules thereof was simply a study NASA carried out as part of a series of studies of how to use the ISS once it had reached end of life.

The idea never was to move the whole thing to lunar orbit but to move modules to the surface of the moon and cover them with lunar regolith to provide insulation and radiation protection. That plan will never be enacted.

There are many issues with moving the ISS to lunar orbit, I'll summerise a few:

1. Thermal environment. The ISS is not built for lunar orbit. It's built for LEO where it's warmer.

2. Resupply. Currently no resupply vehicle has the delta-v and the capacity to sustain one crew member never mind 6.

3. Fragility - The ISS is not built to handle such a transfer.

4. dV - No vehicle has the muscle power to make the transfer.

5. Practicality - If the ISS no longer has funding in Earth orbit or has reached end of life would good is sending it to the moon going to achieve?

MattBaker

Reaction score
One would assume that you would de-crew the ISS during the transfer process.

I rather spoke about crewing it in lunar orbit. Because as a communication satellite an ISS module is not better than a "normal" communication satellite.

---------- Post added at 10:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 PM ----------

And about the resupply, I think you should be able to bring a Dragon or even something bigger in lunar orbit with a Falcon Heavy and a TLI/LOI stage.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
And about the resupply, I think you should be able to bring a Dragon or even something bigger in lunar orbit with a Falcon Heavy and a TLI/LOI stage.

The further you send it the less supplies you can send.

Do you have the figures for a Dragon to Lunar orbit?

Also, what about the other points I raised?

MattBaker

Reaction score
The further you send it the less supplies you can send.

True and that's probably the problem for every mission beyond LEO, think about resupplying Mars...

Do you have the figures for a Dragon to Lunar orbit?

I actually don't, but according to this thread you could launch a Dragon+Centaur upper stage (20 mt) to a lunar trajectory.

Also, what about the other points I raised?

They're all valid problems, although there are certainly upper stages to put single modules into a lunar orbit.