Updates ISS UPDATES

Fixerger

Reaction score
Looks awesome Donamy! What is that addon?

Last edited:

Fixerger

Reaction score
Nice to hear about that. And whole station is some addon, right? I'm new at ISS stuff(it is so complicated sometime) and got iss fleet addon...

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
Russian EVA-24 was successfully completed today (Thu. 14 Jan.).

160328main_425x359_.jpg

During the 5 hour 44 minute EVA, spacewalkers Oleg Kotov & Max Suraev:

. Routed and connected KURS system cables and Ethernet cables between Zvezda and MRM-2.
. Installed docking targets, antennas, and two handrails on MRM-2.
. Removed & jettisoned some MLI covers from MRM-2.
. Retrieved a Biorisk experiment container from outside Pirs & brought it inside the ISS.

The spacewalkers also noticed what appeared to be some MMOD strikes on the exterior of Zvezda.

This was the third EVA for Kotov, who had previously completed two EVAs on Expedition 15, and the first for Suraev.

During the EVA, Jeff Williams remained alone inside Zvezda so that he would not be cut off from his Soyuz TMA-16 in the event that the Pirs airlock & Zvezda Transfer Compartment could not be repressurised. TJ Creamer and Soichi Noguchi remained on the other side of the depressurised Zvezda Transfer Compartment.

MRM-2 is now ready to support the docking of a Soyuz spacecraft. On Jan. 21, Jeff Williams & Max Suraev will relocate their Soyuz TMA-16 from the aft port of Zvezda to the zenith port of MRM-2.

---------- Post added 15th Jan 2010 at 09:40 PM ---------- Previous post was 14th Jan 2010 at 11:45 PM ----------

Some fantastic hi-res images of EVA-24 are now online in the Expedition 22 Image Gallery - see pages 32 to 34.

www.spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/station/crew-22/ndxpage32.html

Last edited:

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com

I was a bit surprised to see that this type of Orlan has a SAFER on/off switch on the control panel (which is visible here, albeit mirrored; umnirrored view is at http://www.spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/station/crew-22/hires/iss022e023793.jpg

I talked to a guy who helps in doing Russian EVA's. He said that we are supposed to have a SAFER equivalent device, but it's not ready for production yet (russian acronym for it is УСК). And the MMU equivalent is retired for a long time and wasn't meant to be used at the ISS altogether.

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
On Sat. 23 Jan., PMA-3 will be relocated from the Port side of Unity to the Zenith port of Harmony, in order to free up Unity's Port location for the new Tranquility module, set to arrive on STS-130 in Feb.

Originally, PMA-3 was going to be relocated to Unity’s Nadir port, but doing so would have created clearance issues with ammonia lines for Tranquility, and so the Harmony Zenith location was chosen instead.

During STS-130, PMA-3 will be relocated from Harmony's Zenith port to Tranquility’s Port-facing port.

Last edited:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Those PMAs get around don't they ?

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
Those PMAs get around don't they ?

They sure do!

PMA-3 is kinda like a bad headache now - nobody really wants or needs it, so it just keeps getting shunted from one module to another! :lol:

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
Is this PMA-3 going to be used for the Dragon dockings? Or just any PMA is good for that? I assume the area in front of a fitting docking node has to be in reach of SSRMS, hasn't it?

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
Is this PMA-3 going to be used for the Dragon dockings? Or just any PMA is good for that? I assume the area in front of a fitting docking node has to be in reach of SSRMS, hasn't it?

The PMAs use the APAS docking system.
Dragon will use the CBM, and will be berthed to Harmony's Nadir port by the SSRMS, just like the HTV.
1.jpg

When PMA-3 is installed on Tranquility’s Port side, it will be unusable for any dockings, due to clearances with the Truss & radiators.

Last edited:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Pretty funny, if that's a NASA drawing, the PMA is upside down. :lol:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Curiously, have they moved PMA3 to Harmony Zenith yet?

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
Curiously, have they moved PMA3 to Harmony Zenith yet?

Yes, they did it earlier today.

From ISS Daily Report for 23 Jan. 2010.

CDR Williams & FE-6 Creamer, assisted by FE-5 Noguchi, spent several hours relocating PMA-3. Activities included:

. Checkout of both Lab & Cupola RWS (Robotic Workstation) laptops.
. Final PMA-3 internal pressure check for leaks, then tearing down the 5-ft ISA/VAJ (Internal Sampling Adapter/Vacuum Access Jumper) used for the leak test.
. Setting Node 1 Port & Node 2 Zenith hatches to unlatch position (to minimize probability/effects of a hatch mechanism jam which would preclude opening hatch for ingress of PMA-3 on Node 2 Zenith, or Node 3 on Node 1 Port during STS-130/20A).
. Powering up & checking out the CBCS (Centerline Berthing Camera System) in Node 2 for the PMA-3 berthing.
. Grappling PMA-3 with the SSRMS at the Node 1 Port location.
. Demating PMA-3 from the Node 1 Port CBM (Common Berthing Mechanism).
. Maneuvering PMA-3 to pre-install position at Node 2 Zenith port.
. Installing PMA-3 on the Node 2 Zenith port.
. Capturing with the CBM & tightening ABOLTS (Acquire Bolts).
. Ungrappling SSRMS and maneuvering to Lab PDGF (Power & Data Grapple Fixture) for 20A Base checkout.
. Deinstalling and removing the CBCS.

Last edited:

Suzy

Reaction score
Website
suzymchale.com
I was a bit surprised to see that this type of Orlan has a SAFER on/off switch on the control panel (which is visible here, albeit mirrored; umnirrored view is at http://www.spaceflight.nasa.gov/gallery/images/station/crew-22/hires/iss022e023793.jpg

I talked to a guy who helps in doing Russian EVA's. He said that we are supposed to have a SAFER equivalent device, but it's not ready for production yet (russian acronym for it is УСК). And the MMU equivalent is retired for a long time and wasn't meant to be used at the ISS altogether.

I noticed that too and wondered why the switch was there! (I have a page on the УСК on my site.)

Also the ISS now has Internet access.

Last edited: