Project Kankoh Maru - Rocket Egg

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
This is my (very) humble attempt to make a contribution to an incredible simulation (thank you Martins!), and a great community, that really makes it come alive! "OMG it's full of addons", and of course the general atmosphere and humour!
I wanted something simple as a POC, and due to the general lack of SSTOs (for LaunchMFD!) I decided for the Kankoh Maru (I think I saw one as a very early WIP but AFAIK there isn't one in Orbiter yet). It took a long time but I finally got it this far:
Kankoh Maru.jpg
Function: Manned Re-usable rocket
Country of origin: Japan

Size
Height: 22m (72.00ft)- (23.5m)
Diameter: 18m (59ft)
Mass: 550t (1,210,000lb)
Dry Mass: 50t

Thrust:
LE-9B-3 Boosters - sea level : 162,959 lbs, 725,000 N
LE-9S-3 Sustainers - vacuum : 193,527 lbs, 861,000 N

Stages: 1
Passengers: 50
Capacity Payload to LEO: 4t (8,800lb)

Launch history: Status Proposed

Japanese manned spacecraft. Study 1995. Kawasaki design for single stage to orbit reusable booster. Would carry 50 passengers to orbiting hotels or fast intercontinental flights.
The Transportation Research Committee is led by Kawasaki Heavy Industries, and members of the committee include staff from Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Fuji Heavy Industries, Ishikawajima Harima Heavy Industries, Nissan Motor Company, All Nippon Airways, Teisan, Japan Aircraft Development Corporation and the Institute of Space and Astronautical Science. The Committee held 9 meetings during 1993 and 1994, and produced the conceptual design of the " Kankoh-maru" VTOL SSTO vehicle.
Using existing and near-term technology the Kawasaki S-1 is an aluminum and composite, vertical-takeoff, vertical landing, base-first entry, single-stage to orbit spacecraft. Each vehicle is designed to fly 300 times per year, and to have a 10 year life.
Thrust for takeoff is supplied by 12 Mitsubishi LE-9 engines, burning liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen. 4 of the engines are LE-9B-3 "booster" engines, optimized for low altitude operation. The other 8 engines are LE-9S-3 "Sustainer" engines, optimized for vacuum operation. The vehicle afterbody is designed to use the vehicle exhaust and the atmosphere as an "aerospike" nozzle to increase efficiency at all altitudes.
Sources- P Collins & K Isozaki, 1996, "JRS Research Activities for Space Tourism", Advances in the Astronautical Sciences, AAS, pp 521- 528..
E Anderson, "Kankoh Maru Flight Manual"
uchumaru.com

It's SC3 (for now (for ever?))
Mesh, animations, visuals, basic ini are done

Keys:
G: gear
K: dock cover
SHIFT+NUMPD 1: sustainer engine covers
SHIFT+NUMPD 2: booster engine covers

It should have two engine modes but this is not practical in SC3 (an invisible payload as an orbital version etc..., maybe later)
It flies pretty much like (I think) it should (clumsy, slow), but I had to tweak it a lot! I don't know if the original stats are porked or if I ballsed up somewhere? and I've tried to figure out the aerodynamics!?! but to no avail; reentry is... sub optimal. This is where I could really use some HELP! and/or tips. I would like it to be as realistic as possible so I'm a little surprised that the original stats (spec. engine) are so far off? If someone could check this I'd very much appreciate it, I've put comments in the ini.

Things to do:

documentation
aerodynamics/ ini - see above
re-texture- I might redo the main tex- it was originally just a quicky (windows are very ugly!)
credits- I'm pretty sure I've only used generic textures (and my own), if anybody recognizes anything else please tell me, Ill give credit or change it.
anything I forgot

Known bugs:
Animations don't close flush when saved in the open position- comes from cheating with the SC3 code
Weird twist jump when landed?- have seen this before, maybe something to do with left/right mesh coords?

constructive criticism/comments and help are welcome
thank you in anticipation of your support
yours BR

View attachment Kankoh Maru.zip

Last edited:

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
Neat ship and neat concept! I was surprised at how little fuel goes a long way. Probably wouldn't hurt to maybe put in a parachute as a "just in case", but other than that it's a really fun add-on!

Buck Rogers

Major Spacecadet
Reaction score
thanks for the thumbs up. It's basically a huge fuel tank, so you're flying an empty can back home, but as stated engine specs & fuel consumption aren't optimized yet. But it's fully (over) capable for LEO operations, ISS etc.

Apparently it's got some kind of eject system with knock out windows for the crew! But what about the 50 passengers! maybe a parachute wouldn't be such a bad idea!

Last edited:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
This is really great, especially for the [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6506"]space hotel[/ame]!

OXFcDKW.png

(source)

(One thing: I would recommend putting the scenario files in a folder named "Kankoh-maru" instead of "Orbital (Sub-)Vehicles" so it is easier to find)