Question Landing STS-101

Reaction score
I am capable of achieving orbit, launching a satellite, and re-entry, which all goes smooth.
As all of these information are in the orbiter manual. But there is nothing
about how to use the aileron in order to land, so I always end up smashing into the earth :facepalm: at speed of 200-250m/s at an angle of 70-90 degrees.
Does anyone know how to land the orbiter???

Hurricane

Grinfeld Aerospace guy
Reaction score
Do you make sure to activate the control surfaces?

Reaction score
How do I activate the control surfaces? I use ctrl + F4 and then select remote vessel control, but that gives you rcs thrusters and main engine control only.:shrug:

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I am capable of achieving orbit, launching a satellite, and re-entry, which all goes smooth.
As all of these information are in the orbiter manual. But there is nothing
about how to use the aileron in order to land, so I always end up smashing into the earth :facepalm: at speed of 200-250m/s at an angle of 70-90 degrees.
Does anyone know how to land the orbiter???

I think you'll find a couple of people here that can land anything in the Orbiter fleet :thumbup:

Describe what you are flying, and where you feel it goes out of control, and let's see if some of the guys here can give you some pointers.

ED_4

Whovian/Star Trekker/Pinoy
Reaction score
And lots of practice. You don't get to land first try unless you're already experienced with it. And the only way to do that is through lots of practice.

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
You might also find some info here.

[ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5582"]Shuttle ECAL/BDA Aborts[/ame]

The tutorial is not just about landing the shuttle but there some guidance on how to perform a nominal approach and landing (page 22 onwards).

Hope you'll find it useful ;)

Happy landings!

Reaction score
All of the answers are very helpful :tiphat: , but it still does not answer the question. The simple thing is that I am using a Laptop, and cannot control the sts-101 in the atmosphere after reentry, I know what to do, just not HOW to do it. e.g. shortcut key to make it turn left or right.