Question Launch pad info request

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
wehaveaproblem.wordpress.com
Hoping one of you tech-enlightened orbinauts might be able to help me here.

I'm after some further info on this kind of pad:
Delta_IV_Medium%2B_%284%2C2%29_NROL-22_launch_1.jpg

slcx6-1986.jpg

It's slick 6 at Vandenberg.

I'm wondering if anyone has some info, or links to info, on how the Service Tower and Assembly Tower actually operate in respect to the Access Tower. I want to make a version of this for the new WIN, so just need to know the fundamental principles at work so mine is realistic enough.

Cheers in advance.

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I'm not sure what kind of detail you're looking for but

The white structures run on railroad tracks much like a harbor container gantry.

JMQ_Container_Crane.jpg

This allows them to "close" over the actual pad. Simply imagine that the VAB had a retractable roof negating the need for a rollout ;)

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Thanks for that.

I was hoping to find some tech drawings or such that showed how it all integrated, but no luck so far. Urwumpe did supply me an interesting article, but I'm going to have to improvise!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Thanks for that.

I was hoping to find some tech drawings or such that showed how it all integrated, but no luck so far. Urwumpe did supply me an interesting article, but I'm going to have to improvise!

You can also look at the Delta-IV launch videos from VAFB, they also contain some nice details about the launch site. Eg the hooks on the large moving structures, that alight the structures with the launch pad.

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
That was a good call Urwumpe. I couldn't find a vid of slick 6 showing tower movement, but I did find some good Delta IV vids from SLC-37 an Canaveral, which uses a similar set up.

So thanks.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Also, if you want your ground infrastructure more realistic, there is a NASA publication somewhere, that describes the evolution of the early launch vehicle umbilicals from V-2 to Saturn I.

I can maybe locate it again, it is pretty interesting reading if you are not sure, what parts matter and how they are supposed to behave.

There are some fictional launch pads around here, that should have seen this one, because they repeat many errors of the early days.

wehaveaproblem

One step closer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
That sounds border-line to much like work for me ;)

Although, even if I don't plan a 100% realistic design, it would be nice to represent the fundamentals accurately.

I shall have a google...