General Question LaunchMFD Failing to Load in Orbiter '10 and '16

Treetop64

Reaction score
In my ongoing quest in reuniting with Orbiter...

Have both Orbiter 2010 (100830) and 2016 (160828) installed.

Launch MFD does not show up in the MFD menu when [SEL] is pressed, in either 2010 or 2016. [SEL] is pressed multiple times to cycle through the complete list.

Both of the latest versions of Launch MFD (v1.6.5-2010 and v1.6.6-2016) were downloaded and installed for their respective orbiter versions, as is also the case for HudDrawer (v0.4 for both) and ModuleMessaging (v2.1d for both).

32bit version of the VC++ Redistribution is downloaded and installed, and system restarted. I have a 64bit OS but since the MFD is a 32bit application I went with the 32bit version.

All are activated without errors in the Modules Tab:

glBrn0z.jpg

cfJJCYi.png

Orbiter logs attached.

I never experienced this issue with LaunchMFD when I used Orbiter '10 before. It is an important tool and if I can't get it to work, that will pretty much nullify any good use I can get from Orbiter. At least if I want to create my own scenarios.

I hate to keep coming here whining about problems. Again, any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Attachments

• Orbiter10.log
    29.1 KB · Views: 6
  • Orbiter16.log
    40.1 KB · Views: 6

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Hey dude, sorry I didn't see your post earlier. Looking through your Orbiter logs doesn't reveal anything particular about your problem.

edit - - -
I didn't have LaunchMFD installed on my Orbiter, so I got it (along with Hud Drawer) and it's not working for me either. This was on Orbiter 2016.

I ran Orbiter 2010 and looked, I have LaunchMFD 1.5.4, so I have an older revision, but it works fine.

I'd shoot enjo a pm and see if he could help you out, or post on the development thread here https://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=768#post5984
The last post on that thread was in November last year, but (CafuneanChill) reinstalled Visual C++and he got it working :shrug:

Last edited:

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
I didn't see this post either. What I do look for are posts where I replied at least once. Everything else is just too much overhead.

So your log file shows this message:

"Error loading module Modules\Plugin\LaunchMFD.dll (code 14001)"

Googling the error code reveals answers like this one:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/8206519/loadlibrary-fails-with-error-code-14001

Short version:
Install Dependency Walker and see what additional DLL is missing. The clues point to (still) missing VC++ Runtime. Maybe you installed the one without the service pack?

Treetop64

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. :thumbup:

As for service packs for the VC++ I downloaded and installed the latest versions for VS 2015, 2017, and 2019. Would I still need to install separate service packs for these?

Also, I learned that the latest VC++ versions have their own distinct runtime files that are not shared with previous versions. Could this be the cause of the problem and if so, how do I know which legacy version to install to support LaunchMFD?

I ran Dependecy Walker and selected ...Modules\Plugin\LaunchMFD.dll, though I have no idea what I'm looking at or what to do when it finishes looking at the dll. Lots of red text and errors, including not finding orbiter.exe (??) among other issues.

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
Yes, the Launch MFD and other MFDs by enjo and ADSWNJ are solely dependent with MSVC++ 2019 or newer. So, I am trying not to use it!

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Yes, the Launch MFD and other MFDs by enjo and ADSWNJ are solely dependent with MSVC++ 2019 or newer. So, I am trying not to use it!

This is not entirely true. My addons use VC++ 2008 SP1 only, only addons by ADSWNJ use VC++2019. His addons also mean MMExt module, but you don't have to use it to use my MFDs. But this is a sad thing to hear in this context, because I was struggling hard to make my addons compatible with WinXP era PCs, and then I became (partly) reliant on VC++2019 through ADSWNJ's compiler. I was considering making a regular (on each version) recompile of the MMExt, to keep it VC++2008 compatible, but I really lack motivation to do it, as I'm completely focused on making a living.

That was it. LaunchMFD now runs on 2010 and 2016.
Thank you!

:cheers:
Great!
Mind you, the link to the VC is on the OrbitHangar description.

Last edited:

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score

I see this is fixed, which is good. Just to clarify on my addons: they are compiled in MSVC++ 2017, and statically linked to avoid runtime issues as you had. Avoid them if you wish though.

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
and statically linked
I completely forgot about it!

---------- Post added at 08:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 AM ----------

Avoid them if you wish though.
I agree, that it was not a nice thing from him to write, but I carry some guilt here. Soumya asked me for support via private message about half a year ago regarding a similar issue, but at that point of time I had a very hard situation in RL, so I couldn't reply. On the other hand I'm not hired here for a paid support, or sth, so do have some respect for the free work, that we provide and had provided for you, through working code. If the VC++ is your enemy, then take my addons and compile them from source. How hard is this?

Last edited:

thammond

Reaction score
I have a similar issue with trying to install Launch MFD on Orbiter 2016 on a WIN 10 computer. My orbiter log is indicating a error code 126 associated with Launch MFD. Not sure if that is related to VC++ or something else.

I'm doing some research to try and trouble shoot this, but if anyone has any ideas to help me out...

---------- Post added at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:25 PM ----------

I got it working. I did not install all the required addons