Lem Gimbal Lock

Sloppyphan

Reaction score
It seems to go into Gimbal Lock fairly easily and I am not sure how to know when I am close or not? Or what direction to move to get away for it? What am I missing?

abr35

Reaction score
Where in the CSM yaw is the middle gimbal, roll is the middle gimbal in the LEM. You should see a red shaded area on either side of the FDAI's edges (on the panel itself, not the 8ball like in the CSM). If the double line running vertically down the FDAI touches this red band on both ends you have gimbal lock.

Visually, you would have gimbal lock if the Lem were at 0,0,0 RPY and you rolled the LEM onto one side.

Hope this helps! I could link some pictures if it's still unclear.

Sloppyphan

Reaction score
No Pictures needed, That makes sense, I just didn't put it all together when looking at the dial. Seems to be a bit of pain when you let the AGS do the maneuvering, It's like it wants to go through Gimbal lock to get there every time :)

MrFickles

Reaction score
It shouldn't. I don't remember any situation where you needed to roll the LM except for star sightings.

Perhaps the AGS was trying to get to some weird attitude? Always check what the AGS wants to do on the FDAI before going to AGS-auto and be prepared to switch to AGS-att hold or even back to PGNS if it goes out of control.