OHM Level 11 BMNG Earth Textures: December, High Quality

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: felix24

NASA Blue Marble Next Generation textures for Earth.  Textures are Level 11 worldwide, and feature seasonal variations in vegetation color, snow cover, polar caps, sea ice, and fresh water lake ice.

Two texture qualities are available:
Standard quality, about 800MB per month unzipped, 9.5GB for 12 months
High quality, about 2.1GB per month unzipped, 26.5GB for 12 months

Standard quality is recommended for normal use, but some shorelines and islands may be blurry.  High quality is recommended if disk space is not an issue, and allows all shorelines, islands, and remote atolls to be visible in sharp detail.

Installation:
1) Using 7-Zip or a comparable utility that supports LZMA compression, unzip the archive into the Orbiter root folder.  A folder named "BMNG Earth" will be created, containing a sub-folder with the month's textures.
2) Copy the files that begin with "earth" into the Textures2 folder.
3) Open the file Config\Earth.cfg.  Find the line "AtmFogParam = 5e-5 3e-5 4e3" and change it to "AtmFogParam = 5e-5 3e-5 1e4 ;4e3"

DOWNLOAD

Gothmog

Reaction score
Win 8.1: If 7Zip doesn't work, try WinRAR

FWIW, in Windows 8.1, using 7Zip I got an error on the extraction process. However, by using WinRAR I was able to get it done. My trial license for WinRAR has long since expired, but it seems that on right-clicking the file name the resulting context menu still offers WinRAR as an option. By clicking on that the option to unpack it will appear, and has worked for this download.

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:45 AM ----------

To the developer:

Could you please clarify how this is meant to work?

I see that there's a download for each month, but when you get to the final subdirectory, e.g. "11 Nov High" or "12 Dec High", that contains the textures, the filenames seem always to be the same from one month to another. So if I copy the unpacked textures for September into <OrbiterRoot>\Textures2\, it overwrites any existing files that I might have copied from another month.

I assume the twelve downloads for twelve months is to simulate average seasonal conditions for each month, but doesn't that mean there should be a way to install all twelve months without any month overwriting another?

fullarmor2

Reaction score
Installation

Do I need to install all twelve of these for each month? Or just pick one of them?