Discussion Leviathan launch vehicle

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
http://www.launchcomplexmodels.com/DirectP2/Information/Baseball_Card_-_Leviathan_H2008.pdf

Among the craziest ideas out there... 180 (sic!) first stage LH2/LOX engines, pressure-fed and non-gimballed. While I appreciate the amount of thought that went into eliminating turbopumps (at least somebody learns the lessons of N-1), reliability leaves a lot to be desired.

Would like to elicit your comments on this project and other cheesy super-heavy launcher (upwards of 120 metric tonnes to 407 km circular orbit) proposals. Super-heavy Falcons, Delta IV next gen, even Angaras. Maybe by 2040 we'll have one such vehicle in working order...

Ark

Reaction score
attachment.php

attachment.php

I kind of like the whacky ideas they had for expanding the Saturn platform.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Eliminating turbopumps is not good, while it makes the rocket engines simpler, it means more tank pressure and more tank mass, also the engine performance is pretty poor.

I had calculated the numbers of DIRECT last weekend, they assume a vacuum specific impulse of 4885 m/s of their first stage engine (the figure is not published in their technical data), that is, even with high performance engines, pretty hard to achieve - also NASA research about the effectivity of such plug nozzles does not confirm such a strong boost in exhaust velocity.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yup, this brochure skips over the question of specific impulse, and it pretty much looks like a step back from the current generation of engines.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yup, this brochure skips over the question of specific impulse, and it pretty much looks like a step back from the current generation of engines.

It is not a bad design, really - but the numbers won't work out like that. Also I would say a single central turbopump could also do that... the "engines" in such a design are rather combustion chambers, some aircraft also already have a dozen of these. The problem is just getting the pressure from tank head to a good injection pressure - the closer the injection pressure is to the theoretical optimum, the better it is.

Last edited: