Linux playground

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
And I realize my "no way. never ever" attitude may be a bit heavy handed.

However, we have a working OpenGL client under Linux, and @Artlav had a working OpenGL client as far back as 2009 It doesn't seem like handedness is a roadblock to OpenGL.

I'm aware that my Newenglish "if it ait't broke, don't fix it" is a particular bias, but I don't see the benefits to changing:
  • The dynamic state propagators
  • The aerodynamic force model
  • The way moments of inertia add together with docked structure
  • Gravity gradient torque
  • Nonspherical Gravity
  • Animations
  • Gravity gradient torque
  • All addons that rely on left-handedness
I think think it's pretty small price to pay to just write some transformation (which really is just flipping a sign bit, if the compiler is worth its salt) into the graphics client, so we don't have to change all of that. And I say that partially because if put to the task, I'm not confident I could actually do all that--at least not without getting burned out and giving up--and partially because there are probably far better ways for us to spend our time.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I think think it's pretty small price to pay to just write some transformation (which really is just flipping a sign bit, if the compiler is worth its salt) into the graphics client, so we don't have to change all of that. And I say that partially because if put to the task, I'm not confident I could actually do all that--at least not without getting burned out and giving up--and partially because there are probably far better ways for us to spend our time.
Hm.
If i'm getting the conversation correctly, you are mixing two things.

On the level of graphics client, it's literally setting up the model matrix to be mirrored on Z axis. Nothing else (give or take some normal/tangent shenanigans).

On the level of add-ons, modules, physics, it's "rewrite everything", because stuff assumes that moving a specific way requires specific coordinate transforms. You can't get away from it with a simple conversion at a single point.
Like, there are math and geometry and physics functions written under the assumption of left handedness. They would have to be changed in the code.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Hm.
If i'm getting the conversation correctly, you are mixing two things.

On the level of graphics client, it's literally setting up the model matrix to be mirrored on Z axis. Nothing else (give or take some normal/tangent shenanigans).

On the level of add-ons, modules, physics, it's "rewrite everything", because stuff assumes that moving a specific way requires specific coordinate transforms. You can't get away from it with a simple conversion at a single point.
Like, there are math and geometry and physics functions written under the assumption of left handedness. They would have to be changed in the code.
Well, my point was exactly to highlight this difference between those two things, and that one was significantly harder than the other. I think you said it better than I did, though.

Changing all the physics just so we don't have to flip the z axis in the graphics client makes zero sense, if I understand correctly, that was proposed in an earlier post.

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
Hello Kali Linux users.
I have tried Kali and installed Orbiter Linux on Kali. To do this I first had to start with a standard installation and then install these packages:

Bash:
sudo apt install libglfw3-dev libfreetype-dev libopenal-dev libfontconfig-dev libsndfile1-dev libglm-dev

And then follow the steps in the first post.

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
Please test our build on an Archlinux distribution (or a derivative of it) with the command:
I have tested the PKGBUILD from orbiter2016-git, it compiles correctly and I have found the following problems:

Moving the Orbiter installation out of user space ($HOME/) to a folder like /usr causes Orbiter to not have enough permissions to run and write to disk (scenario saves, joystick drivers, etc.).
Bash:
[matias@archAMD64 ~]$ cd /usr/Orbiter/
[matias@archAMD64 Orbiter]$ ./Orbiter
MESA: error: ZINK: vkCreateInstance failed (VK_ERROR_INCOMPATIBLE_DRIVER)
glx: failed to create drisw screen
failed to load driver: zink
Generic base textures
Error opening log file 'XRSound.log' for writing; attempting to continueFailed loading module Modules/Plugin/libApolloRTCCMFD.so (code Modules/Plugin/libApolloRTCCMFD.so: undefined symbol: _ZN3DSE10TapeMotionEv)
Failed loading module Modules/Plugin/libProjectApolloMFD.so (code Modules/Plugin/libProjectApolloMFD.so: undefined symbol: _ZTI12ToggleSwitch)
Failed loading module Modules/Plugin/libOrb42S.so (code Modules/Plugin/libOrb42S.so: undefined symbol: _Z8hp2asciiPcPKci)
InputController::GlobalInit
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'std::filesystem::__cxx11::filesystem_error'
  what():  filesystem error: cannot create directory: Permission denied [Controllers]
Abortado (`core' generado)
[matias@archAMD64 Orbiter]$

For some reason the Orbiter shortcut (located in /usr/share/applications) points to $HOME/.cache/yay/orbiter2016-git instead of /usr/Orbiter/Orbiter.

Sword7

Reaction score
Does anyone plan to port tools in Utils directory to Linux platform like tileedit and texpack?

I reviewed sources and they are very simple and easy to port them to Linux platform and others.

Also, I saw M files in tileedit. Will they work on Scilab (open-source Matlab-like application)?

Thanks.

Last edited: