Question Linux Version

neGcon

Reaction score
Hi
I wasn't on the forum for some time, and the search didn't show much.
But how far is the Visualization Project? Are we far from a OpenGL Version - and a possible Linux Version?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Hi
I wasn't on the forum for some time, and the search didn't show much.
But how far is the Visualization Project? Are we far from a OpenGL Version - and a possible Linux Version?

OpenGL version of the renderer is not too far away, as one working prototype exists.

Linux version of Orbiter is currently pretty far away, as the whole Orbiter API has many windows dependencies. I doubt this will get removed in just one version jump, as it requires a lot of testing and will make many older add-ons obsolete.

(And why are there so many people from Albania?)

Xantcha

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thats top item in registration list of countires

neGcon

Reaction score
well thats sad to hear - recently i fell in love with linux and using it exclusively on my notebook

Are there any reports and experiences with Wine and Orbiter?

PS: Back from Albania ;-)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Some people claim that this works, though it seems with some limitations. But you should ask somebody else, I only use Linux on university and have problems liking it... my heart belongs to MultiTOS...

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I hope you are running KDE, I have found Orbiter to be far more stable in this environment when ran with WINE.

unussapiens

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
nickgrant.id.au
I can't figure out why Orbiter would work better in KDE than gnome, which is a pity, because I prefer gnome.

I tried to get it working once, there's a fair amount of instructions in the OGLA thread on M6. It all started but as there were no good drivers for my graphics card at the time it didn't work. I think I might try again soon.

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I prefer GNOME as well, unfortunately I have never been able to run Orbiter in GNOME, at all. Has anyone tried to run it using Cadega?

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
well thats sad to hear - recently i fell in love with linux and using it exclusively on my notebook.

PS: Back from Albania ;-)

So far, I don't know anyone who would have stayed in love with linux very long. After a while they get a rid of it. That happend to me and many others I know.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
So far, I don't know anyone who would have stayed in love with linux very long. After a while they get a rid of it. That happend to me and many others I know.
Well, I still love it - in certain applications. I have found it less than satisfactory for desktop applications (including Orbiter) but it is just great for my SMB file server, PPTP server and web server. I guess I am getting a little OT here...

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I still use linux quite frequently..most of the time, when I am not doing something in Orbiter. XD

Chupacabra

Reaction score
I've been using Ubuntu for over a year with minor difficulties. However, I dual-boot it alongside XP and it gives me no issues. Sometimes XP is too much of a hassle, sometimes I'm in the mood for some gaming (funny since summer began I have had more time for gaming). Either way it seems to me that I end up using each one about 50% of the time.

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I am using Linux for more than 8 years now, mostly for the desktop, but also as LAN server. On my laptop, I only use windows for Orbiter, and for compiling and testing the windows versions of the software I make (which is all multi-platform and also compiles in Linux). Overall, I spend more than 90% of my time in Linux.

I started using Linux about a year before desktop environments like KDE and Gnome appeared, and in those days it really deserved its "nerds-only" image. Because I didn't just give up, I now have a more-than-average "under-the-hood" knowledge of Linux. I still use the commandline a lot for fixing some of the problems you always have when installing a new system. Maybe that's why I continue to like Linux, while others don't manage to fix their problems, and go back to windows.

My experience is that Linux is a perfect system as soon as it is installed and configured properly. Distributors like Ubuntu do a very good job in easy installation and configuration, but with thousands of different pieces of hardware on the market, it's nearly impossible to make it work for everybody. Things would improve a lot if hardware vendors would start pre-installing Linux on their computers, just like they are now pre-installing windows. They know their hardware, and they have the experts who can configure Linux properly, so that you don't need to be a geek like me to appreciate Linux.

I tried Orbiter in wine, but it doesn't work for me. I am using Xubuntu 8.04, and I am getting a DirectX7 stub error, and no 3D rendering.

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Linux is pretty darn good, but no OS is perfect, was perfect, or ever will be perfect.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Linux is pretty darn good, but no OS is perfect, was perfect, or ever will be perfect.
Recently, I made a comment along these lines to my somewhat computer phobic boss. His reply started something like: "Back in my day..." :)

apollo13

Reaction score
I've been using "Damn Small Linux", very useful but, does anybody think Orbiter will be as mobile as it is on XP?

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
... does anybody think Orbiter will be as mobile as it is on XP?

What do you mean with "mobile"? I think as soon as you can run Orbiter in Linux, you can run it in Linux on a laptop. I think its battery power consumption will be very similar to Orbiter on windows: Orbiter uses the video card and the CPU as fast as it can, so the recent improvements in Linux' power consumption won't help you (they only work when the system is idle).

apollo13

Reaction score
Sorry I meant to say well it be as useful as it is on XP on Linux, so by your post I dont see a major difference with Orbiter in Linux....sounds good.

Grawp

Reaction score
Linux is just KERNEL. Excelent, but only kernel. It's not operating system. GNU/Linux is type of operating system. I really don't know why majority of people call it Linux. Most of today's distros consists of parts from GNU project + a few own parts + Linux.

It's like calling "whole human" "human's heart". Heart is very important part but not essential (relatively). You can by on bypass (you'll be like in chrooted environment) or get your heart replaced (like installing new kernel, which doesn't have to be necessarilly human heart (we have mechanical hearts, human heart combined with LVAD (RVAD) and in future probably heart from special pigs genetically designed to be compatible with human system))

Native Son

Reaction score
I love Ubuntu!

Too bad ATI graphics have poor support.