Flight Question Looking for an AoA Autopilot for the stock DG

CDGA

Reaction score
Hello everyone... I am looking for a way to hold the AoA during reentry on the stock DG. Why, you may ask do i not use the XR series? id love to, but call me picky... i just don't like to fly with 2d panels, i love the VR cockpit in the standard DG, i know the XR1 has one, but it does not have all the functionality, eventually you must go to the 2D panel to set the autopilot (picky, i know )
All i need is some form of autopilot that can hold the angle of attack, and maybe also the bank angle, for some reason the DG can't do it. Alternatively, if the x series have updated functional cockpits, that would be best.

Thanks for listening, cheers

carlos

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
BTW you can set the XR autopilots via shortcut keys -- details are in the flight manual, or press SHIFT-SPACE to see the shortcuts on the HUD. :)

CDGA

Reaction score
Thank you, this helps... should i forget about the stock DG? seems like it doesn't perform well on reentry. i would absolutely love to fly the XR5 on a 3d cockpit, or any other good vessel that has a fully functional 3D cockpit, any ideas?

thanks for your reply

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
I usually use the up-trim on atmospheric reentries. While you cannot fly a belly-first rentry , it is good for 10-15° AoA. After the inital levelling out at ~50 km altitude I turn the vessel 90° sideways and perform occasional roll reversals to keep the heading to the target.

To have a target indicator in Surface HUD, the target base has to be set in the Map MFD.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Thank you, this helps... should i forget about the stock DG? seems like it doesn't perform well on reentry. i would absolutely love to fly the XR5 on a 3d cockpit, or any other good vessel that has a fully functional 3D cockpit, any ideas?

thanks for your reply
Unfortunately, probably yes. If your goal was to fly a realistic reëntry. The CG is a bit too far forward on the stock DG. It makes it very easy to fly but not so much for realism.

CDGA

Reaction score
Yes i just did a reentry on the XR1, what a difference!!... i mapped the AoA hold autopilot keys to my HOTAS joystick. works perfect, thank you very much. killed my crew though :ROFLMAO:

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com

thanks for your reply
Yeah, it's pretty useless for reentry.
You might check out my DarkEnergy vehicle, it has a nice fully functional VC and a full reentry autopilot.

CDGA

Reaction score

Max-Q, that's your creation?? it looks awesome man, i downloaded it yesterday, ill get started on it.... looks like a good study session, thats the kind of work i love, thanks for that.​

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
You're welcome. :)

I had a lot of fun making it, I hope you enjoy.
If you need help with anything, please feel free to ask! (That manual is a bit long...) ;)

Interceptor

Reaction score
Here’s a good video it should show you a few tips.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqEXjuX8tHw&list=PLbU8ZepIZCsKMYAwK0Zl57koRc7q0FdD0&index=7&pp=iAQB

CDGA

Reaction score
Thanks MaxQ, will keep in mind.
Interceptor, thanks for the link, i saw the whole series already, they are great. he even has a good procedure for reentry on the GS (unrealistic of course).

Guys, is it possible to put the stock 3d cockpit in the XR1 somehow?... just wondering

thanks for all the replies. cheers