General Question MainThrust and ISP values used on the SC3 Atlantis

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Ok, this is n00b question but I'm confused with the MainThrust and ISP values used on the SC3 Atlantis.

On the config we have:
Main_Thrust=53400
ISP=5000

But on Astronautix, Wikipedia, etc, the values are:
Main Thrust = 1859 kN
ISP = 453s
Effective exhaust velocity = 4440 m/s
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Main_Engine"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Main_Engine[/ame]

I understand that Orbiter ISP will be s*9.8066, (or exhaust) so ISP=5000 is approximate.

But for thrust I don't understand. It should be Main_Thrust = 1859000*3 = 5577000.
And in this case shouldn't ISP be tripled?

Sorry for such a basic question, but I've searched the Forum, the SC3 and Orbiter docs, etc and didn't find an answer with any real world examples. :facepalm:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
There was a time when the technical specs of the default Atlantis on which the SC3 Atlantis is based, was not terribly accurate. This lead to the desire to create a new more accurate version which was named "Atlantis Mod".

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Ok, and what values are used on that version? Or the current one?

The Orbiter variables are the same, regardless of SC3, LUA, dll or vessel config.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
And in this case shouldn't ISP be tripled?

Why ? Regardless if you have 1 or 10 same engines, this doesn't affect the Isp :)

Also I think that 53400 N is for the OMS pods, and 1859 kN (1859000) is for 1 SSME. I guess that there is 1 engine defined for the 2 OMS pods and 3 engines for the 3 SSME in the mod.

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Ok, and what values are used on that version? Or the current one?

The Orbiter variables are the same, regardless of SC3, LUA, dll or vessel config.
The last version of Atlantis Mod (1.5) can be found here: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=1804"]Atlantis Mod 15a[/ame]

Source code is included.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Thanks for the info, but my point is more about what values to use in a simple implementation.

So back to my original question.

If I consider the 3 SSME as one engine then Main_Thrust = 1859000*3 = 5577000 right :yes: ?

That's all I need to know. Sorry for the insistence, but If I don't ask, even if the question is dumb, I'll learn nothing. So I prefer to learn (even if I found out that I'm really just being dumb... ;) )

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, but my point is more about what values to use in a simple implementation.

So back to my original question.

If I consider the 3 SSME as one engine then Main_Thrust = 1859000*3 = 5577000 right :yes: ?

That's all I need to know. Sorry for the insistence, but If I don't ask, even if the question is dumb, I'll learn nothing. So I prefer to learn (even if I found out that I'm really just being dumb... ;) )
The best source for technical data on the Shuttle is the Shuttle Crew Operations Manual (SCOM) available for download here: http://www.nasa.gov/centers/johnson/pdf/390651main_shuttle_crew_operations_manual.pdf

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
It checks out. The indicated thrust is 2283049N at 109% and that's for the 3 engines combined.
That's close enough to the 2278kN on Wikipedia.

Perhaps I wasn't clear on my original question, but my problem was not the Atlantis performance, was with the strange values I generally see in configs! Atlantis was just an example. I have no clue where the Main_Thrust=53400 comes from.

All this started because I tried to correct the Gemini Agena Docking Target. Again, I find no relation between the actual values and the ones on the add-on. So I checked Atlantis, just to find the same thing... So I posted about it :)

Last edited:

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
To clarify the shuttle Main_Thrust: Thats the OMS thrust.
2 OMS x 26 700 N each = 53 400 N total.

All thrust values are in Newton [N], all ISP values in [m/s].

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know! :thumbup:

I was interpreting main_thrust literally, for the shuttle's main engines! Of course that makes no sense, but it happens when one is only looking at numbers....

Last edited: