Manual Reentry

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
You will need a lot of flexibility if you want to increase your accuracy. Bear in mind that you can always bleed off speed, but you can never gain it back.

In order to increase your "wiggle room", I recommend doing a retro burn farther away from the base than is orthodox. When you are at about 70 km or so, adjust your flight pattern in such a way that you gently glide in the upper atmosphere, holding your altitude relatively level. Use your speedbrakes if you think you are coming up too fast, but don't lose too much speed.

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
It's actually pretty easy. I ALWAYS do my re-entry's manually.
For landing at the KSC, make sure your flightpath crosses KSC.
Pull of Map MFD, and do a retro-burn over the Australia/new-Zealand area (if you want to come down at KSC) until the orange square is just a little past your target landing site.

Go prograde, level off and wait until you have atmospheric interface.
You'll notice that the orange square will now start "crawling" towards you ( making you fall short of your landing point) so you need to increase your AOA (nose angle) to about 40 degrees to bring it back over your target landing point.
While you do this you can start S-turns to bleed off speed making sure the orange square stays over your target landing point.

Adjust your AOA to allow the orange square to stay over the desired landing point.

Once you are through the atmosphere you should also be very close to your landing point so you can then lower the nose and glide your craft ( I always fly the space shuttle) to a safe landing.

Like I said I always fly manual re-entry ( don't have a clue how to do it differently).

Hope this helps.
:cheers: