Challenge Mars - Earth - Moon - WIN

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
So, I thought of a challenge for anyone experienced in TransX or IMFD to try out. I'm not sure if this is even possible, but If it is, I'd love to see a replay of it :)

1) Start on Mars, Inject to earth
2) AeroSling around Earth into a free-return around the moon
3) Direct entry from the moon and land at WIN

Good luck to anyone who tries it :)

flytandem

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
www.flytandem.com
Have done similar a few times but I do have a small suggestion. The depart from Earth atmosphere will undoubtedly have a bit of dv correction to clean up the trip to the moon for that free return. Maybe you should post a scenario from Mars surface on up. It should have enough fuel to make the transfer to Earth plus maybe a few hundred m/s extra for all the MCCs enroute to Earth and for the MCCs while going Earth to moon and back to Earth.

I can't say I have done it as a free return because usually if coming Mars to Earth neighborhood with moon as my personal landing site, I would use Earth atmosphere to aerobrake (aerosling) to make the arrival dv at the moon a minimum. It always seemed better than just slamming into the moon directly even if I tried to have the arrival date to be where direct to moon was tangential to soften a direct moon landing.

To ask that I go to moon with specific task to just float past it within some specified distance before a landing back at earth sounds fun. Although perhaps it has an air of indecision as far as where to land. I mean, i was already there just a week earlier.

does this make sense?? i sometimes worry that i ramble.

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
I agree with flytandem on this one. This scenario does carry an "an air of indecision"... but it doesn't mean that it isn't fun.
Whenever you make a Mars-Earth trip... and you want to land... you have to burn off -in Earth's atmosphere- all that excess speed.
Surely one can "surf" on the clouds and then "rebound" (and head) for whatever destination.
As Rob already suggested, would you mind setting up the initial scenario?
I think it would be fun to try out!
Unless... you don't know how to do it.
In that case, may i point out a couple of scenarios?