Updates Mars Science Laboratory (Curiosity)

Keatah

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure one of the on-board cameras scans the ground during descent to find the optimal touch-down spot.

I'm not so sure that it does. I've read nothing to date that talks about lateral movement with the intent of avoiding objects. MARDI is used (afaik) to zero-out horizontal movement so that the rover is not dragged across the landscape.

Keatah

Reaction score
MARDI is used to take pictures of the MSL's Landing Site, from 2 minutes of landing.

MARDI does that in order to zero-out lateral horizontal movements. But, is it smart enough to avoid the big rock in the center?

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
But, is it smart enough to avoid the big rock in the center?

Don't worry, I'm pretty sure they have thinked to that. My first concern would be about a computer bug or mechanical malfunction rather than a design problem.

I'm confident it will go well ! :hailprobe::hailprobe::hailprobe:

Keatah

Reaction score
I'm sure it will go well, but I'm trying to find out if the skycrane can do hazard avoidance. What if it gets blown off course over rocks?

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
but I'm trying to find out if the skycrane can do hazard avoidance.

The problem is that the payload should be the heaviest ever landed on Mars. So the airbag technique doesn't work. The other alternative would have been a descent stage under the rover. It would probably have meant a larger entry capsule, and it doesn't solve the problem : a landing over a rock would still have been possible. I think that the skycrane idea is to have a good visibility of the landing site and keep the ability to drop the rover on a specific spot until the very last moment. Also landing the rover on a platform could have lead to the situation of the rover being jammed on it, etc...

Let's hope that the weather will be good and that it won't land into a martian sandstorm (we have no martian weather forecast yet) !

Anyway, we will know soon : less than 2 days to go !

Last edited:

Keatah

Reaction score
Yes yes yes. But if there is a huge rock directly under the rover, can the skycrane detect that and slide to the side to a flat surface?

---------- Post added at 04:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:01 AM ----------

On a different note, I think Planters Peanuts are the official snack to eat while watching the EDL ops.

Keatah

Reaction score
To actually run the simulation on your system go here -- http://eyes.nasa.gov/index.html
And you can get real time simulation of all sorts of other Solar System stuff and spacecraft!

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I'm sure it will go well, but I'm trying to find out if the skycrane can do hazard avoidance. What if it gets blown off course over rocks?

That is why there is a landing ellipse. That ellipse includes wind drift. Did you already read how big the revised landing ellipse is?

Gadfly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Re: Hazard Avoidance

My understanding (based on answer to question earlier today at press conference held by team members) is the rocket vehicle has no hazard avoidance capability; area inside the landing ellipse is believed to represent acceptably low risk of landing on an obstacle with a preprogrammed lat/long landing aim point.

Last edited:

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
On a different note, I think Planters Peanuts are the official snack to eat while watching the EDL ops.

It's a tradition dating back to the days of Ranger. Whether or not it's lucky I don't know, but for me I think it is handy to have some peanuts to open and eat during tense bits. Something to do, you know.

Keatah

Reaction score
My understanding (based on answer to question earlier today at press conference held by team members) is the rocket vehicle has no hazard avoidance capability; area inside the landing ellipse is believed to represent acceptably low risk of landing on an obstacle with a preprogrammed lat/long landing aim point.

I'm under the impression that's the deal.

It's a tradition dating back to the days of Ranger. Whether or not it's lucky I don't know, but for me I think it is handy to have some peanuts to open and eat during tense bits. Something to do, you know.

Lucky?? Mmm.. The hand was frozen at T minus-zero. If the vehicle was built correctly it will work. I gotta remember to get more peanuts for tomorrow night. I've got some pistachios, but not enough me thinks.

That is why there is a landing ellipse. That ellipse includes wind drift. Did you already read how big the revised landing ellipse is?

No not yet, did they shrink it s'more?

Mikeol1987

Virtual Pilot & Orbinaut
Reaction score
Come on Curiosity!

Hello all, hope we're all getting ready for the landing! I've already got my eyes on the solar system simulation running so I can keep track of where we're at, I have to stay up late tonight as I'm GMT But I'm making it into a little event, hoping to photograph the mars 'triangle' later tonight too.

-Main concern for landing-
Parachute Failure within its first stage

fraxudemspas

Reaction score
Hello all, hope we're all getting ready for the landing! I've already got my eyes on the solar system simulation running so I can keep track of where we're at, I have to stay up late tonight as I'm GMT But I'm making it into a little event, hoping to photograph the mars 'triangle' later tonight too.

-Main concern for landing-
Parachute Failure within its first stage

Staying up late? More like not sleeping, the landing is 7:31 CEST (5:31 UTC). I'm hoping to catch the whole coverage, so stocking up on coffee as we speak.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
I'll be surely late at work tomorrow.
Luckily I am UTC+2 here and I use to wake up at 7am anyway...I'll set my wakeup ring at 6:30.