OHM Mass-Driver ship Tsiolkovsky v1.01

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: sputnik

Intended for use with the Stanford Torus add-on (though it's not absolutely required). Tsiolkovsky is borrowed from Gerard K O'neill's book...it's a solar-powered, mass-driver-propulsion, ferry ship to bring 2000 passengers at a time from LEO to a space colony at L5. Low thrust/weight means you'll fly it at time compression. A unique challenge.

Requires Stanford Torus v1.5 for Orbiter 2010.

DOWNLOAD

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
But is it UMMU compatible for those 2000 passengers?

:lol:

Seriously, thanks for updating this one! I have a separate install dedicated to "what if" we had started serious development of O'Neill's ideas right off. Space colonies, extensive lunar mines -- it's a fun system to play in!

ATymeson

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hi, I love messing around with this ship. Especially after having read Gerard O' Neill's book. I have a question for this ship and the Orion as well, since both use the slamcycle code. How do you determine the effective thrust for them? It's something of a guessing game planning out the missions without knowing the acceleration rates. I have looked at the C++ files in the SDK samples and I am having a little difficulty navigating the lines of code. Anyone else figured this out? Thanks.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It looks like the main thrust is 501 kN:
Code:
CONST double MainThrust =  501000;

Variable is used in the creation of th_orion thruster.