Maximum PC features Orbiter

Kveldulf

Reaction score
I got the November issue of Maximum PC today, and was suprised to find Orbiter included in the CD they pass out with every issue. Because of this, Orbiter should get some decent exposure.

I guess we should start awaiting the swarm of newer players.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Swarm. I like that word.

Like locusts, the new players will descend upon us.

willy88

Tinkerer
Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Everyone, prepare for battle!...

...with the newbies' endless slew of questions! :lol:

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
Maybe we should start making a "Newbie Question's List", answering simple questions like, "How do i take off?", "I wanna go to the moon", "How do I do this?"

Sound like a good idea?

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
MY IDEA:

What I have wanted to do for a while now, and this seems like the perfect time! - is to compile a list of "Orbiter Essential Addons" for newbies to install.

We could do the list as a thread in help/support, and we would just list & provide links to all the most essential addons for someone just starting out with orbiter.

I would list only addons that:
A) work well, ie. no bugs
B) are "possible" ie. the XR2, although not realistic, is possible. An addon for, say, a flying bus, would NOT be possible, and so would not be included in the list. Basically no "silly" addons.
C) that are easy to use/install
D) ARE AWESOME/ESSENTIAL

Orbiter Sound would be there definitely
Along with Earth L10
SF or SSU?
Soyuz series...

The list goes on!

I think I will start this soon - it would not take long. Any ideas for any "essential" addons, please post below.

Newbies, remember, will not probably be aware of most good addons for a while, so this list will help them get the most from Orbiter.

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
Um...while its a good idea in theory, I dont think it would work. The Best we can do is direct them to the "useful" add-on site, and turn them loose. Or, we could get permission from the authors, and include as the recommended ones in one convenient zip file.

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
If we could get permission from the authors, then I like the idea of doing a downloadable "useful addons pack", which would contain everything, maybe some basic tutorials, and instructions etc?

dmc

Reaction score
"hai i wanna fly to moon how i do dat lol?"

:rofl: Me and my friend call that language Noobanese
For anyone that plays World of Warcraft, you know there are many people that are fluent in Noobanese

Kveldulf

Reaction score
If we could get permission from the authors, then I like the idea of doing a downloadable "useful addons pack", which would contain everything, maybe some basic tutorials, and instructions etc?
I think that the best we should do is point them in the direction of Go Play in Space, the tutorial section, and the addon forums. Go Play in Space awnsered nearly all of my questions on travel when I started with Orbiter, and the addons should be self-explanitory anyway (especially if we mention JSGME).

to be

Reaction score
We already have the "Recommended Addons" list, and with the exception of the lack of launch MFD, rendezvous MFD, and emap MFD, the inclusion of Land over Lola MFD, and of course the XR-2 (seriously, it needs a dash :), as well as the inclusion of some things that are a bit buggy or impossible to use... Despite those flaws, I start my reinstallation addon additions there, I do find a lot of the stuff I want on there.