Idea Merging Vessels

docabn

Reaction score
I hope so.
Not being a programmer means I am at the mercy of those who are.
But personnaly I think that the ability to build a superstructure in space is awsome and have been hampered by the fact that I cannot merge the parts into one complete vessel.

---------- Post added 08-22-2009 at 08:07 PM ---------- Previous post was 08-21-2009 at 11:33 PM ----------

Couldn't you just use [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3262"]UniversalCargoDeck[/ame] for this? It allows to near-effortlessly attach a vessel to another vessel, control the position/rotation, and it stays attached until you want to detach it. I don't see how that couldn't work for attaching space station modules to a core vessel in orbit.

I know this is slightly off the topic but in trying to find a simple work around to Kaito’s original question I came up with this.
Also, I am not a programmer so I have no Idea how complicated what I will suggest might be but last night using 2552’s idea using the [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3262"]UniversalCargoDeck[/ame] to merge multiple pieces, I built on the surface of the moon a structure consisting of 19 pieces. I had thought a while ago that being able to take the same pieces that I was using to build a space station and transfer them to the moon and build an initial settlement that way would be neat. However, when I tried to get the pieces to dock I kept running into problems. I think I would get pieces to far below the surface and the program would make them bounce into orbit.
I solved this by simply using the [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3262"]UniversalCargoDeck[/ame] to build the structure and just butt the pieces up against each other however I wanted. I had mounted the cargo deck on a UMMU Shuttle so that I could hide the main craft and got an unexpected ability. I can now put my UMMUs into my structure.
So here was my thought. While this does not solve the problem of having dozens of craft in my F3 box to select from. It did occur to me that if you manage to build an MFD or some linking craft that hides all the parts of the superstructure. First, would it be compatible with the cargo deck or have the ability to similarly attach objects.
Second could it be made to support UMMUs.
Third could it be made to run out of air. (last one would be kind of neat as it would require the need for resupply runs) .
Thanks

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
You could create a common library, that includes some magic AIP that allows merging.

Yeah I really have no good ideas. . .

Kaito

Orbiquiz Coordinator
Reaction score
Thread Necromancy!
While i would like to see a merging vessel thing come about, i doubt it would happen...

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Wait, what if all the station modules share the same class. Would it be possible to un-jettison parts.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
There still must be a way to do it... TTM24 does it, but I guess that's in the code to work that way? If I were an evil super-genious I'd figure it out and share with other evil minions. Sigh...

jinglesassy

Reaction score
how about you make it so if you have 2 in use docking ports on it removes it from the selection screen this will remove alot of them easily