News Missing war graves from Battle of the Java Sea?

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The news here sound more like they had been stolen and sold as scrap metal.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Indeed, had a look around and it seems its common. I'm guessing the gangs aren't bothered what ship they get, as long as its scrap-worthy. Disgraceful, but not much can be done about it.

Suppose you could "tag" the war-grave wrecks these days with remote monitoring, but expensive.

N.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Stolen by ET's ? :rolleyes:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Suppose you could "tag" the war-grave wrecks these days with remote monitoring, but expensive.

N.

Well, it wouldn't be that hard. Here in the North Sea, it simply works by watching the radar and AIS. If a ship spends too much time where it should not be, the coastguard will come and ask questions.

But there.... I would not even be surprised if some coast guard officers earned a bit extra for retirement by not looking too closely at the scrappers.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Agree, its not really practical. Most nations have enough trouble chasing illegal fishing, so this will be way down the priority list.

Up to each nation to protect its own I suppose.
Besides all the other factors, we are losing history.

N.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Agree, its not really practical. Most nations have enough trouble chasing illegal fishing, so this will be way down the priority list.

Up to each nation to protect its own I suppose.
Besides all the other factors, we are losing history.

N.

Well, maybe there should be some kind of honor guard over important war graves to make sure their peace is respected...

But we have so many war graves in the world and so many shipwrecks with that eternal status, it would become the worlds biggest employer.

Maybe it was good that the wrecks disappeared, so we are remembered that history has to be kept alive, not preserved.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Again, agreed!
It also makes an artificial divide for "civilians" who have died at sea. Where do you stop?

Suppose it shows our terror of the sea. When you die on land, your body is around for a while, at sea you just disappear.

N.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Again, agreed!
It also makes an artificial divide for "civilians" who have died at sea. Where do you stop?

Suppose it shows our terror of the sea. When you die on land, your body is around for a while, at sea you just disappear.

N.

This terror of the sea is maybe also one of the reasons for some of the most noble groups on this planet... Those who rescue shipwrecked or other people in danger on the sea really have my fullest respect. Nobody deserves a wet grave, regardless where he comes from.