Base Moon Village, partially buried base + Pads

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Here are some ESA pictures for Moon Village (credit ESA - P. Carril).
If somebody gets inspired to build new type of buildings in a Lunar base at the South pole for O2016, it would be really great to support new highly topical scenarios:

ESA_Moon_Village.png

I guess a structure under a hill of regolith, with a long skirt around, should be really easy to install everywhere on the surface (?)

Last edited:

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It's an "old" update (2020) but thank you for so much detail! I took the pics in a recent call to tender for industry.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think it is doable. Sounds like a good set up for UACS. Solar panels are easy. The domes are just meshes,....

Anyone wanting to help. I should be able to do most meshes

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think it is doable. Sounds like a good set up for UACS. Solar panels are easy. The domes are just meshes,....

Anyone wanting to help. I should be able to do most meshes

If somebody could model the SOM habitat module, I would code it.... Since we already have a SLS, we would also have a launcher to launch it. What is still undefined in Moon Village is the lander to land this ~50t payload on the lunar surface.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Do you mean this. Exterior would pretty easy. A couple of docks,....

Attachments

• SOMmodule.jpg
    SOMmodule.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 15

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yes, this one, the interior would be harder, since it relies on outfitting, but maybe something can be done with UACS there

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
we already have a SLS, we would also have a launcher to launch it.
Do you have in mind some animation to transform from folded to unfolded shape? I think it is cool but not the priority... Same about the launcher: let's do not care of it now, when Brighton Beach was designed, we were happy to have this base... how could it be deployed is another story ;)

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
On this Habitat. It looks like there is a structure and then the 3 sides expand out? I guess you would need to scale them out?
I wish I had a good side view. There is a good xray view of the top

Attachments

• topsom.jpg
    topsom.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Do you have in mind some animation to transform from folded to unfolded shape? I think it is cool but not the priority... Same about the launcher: let's do not care of it now, when Brighton Beach was designed, we were happy to have this base... how could it be deployed is another story ;)

I first of all thought about just swapping meshes. ;) A scaling animation should also do it, but this requires a meshgroup structure that supports it, the scaling animation can't have children, so for example the docking ports would need to be translated instead. Also, the edges of the wall would need to be reduced to straight lines which could look odd. A more realistic solution would be moving the vertices out by applying a tension function, but this requires more work to code.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I think I redo the structure side. where the windows are. I think it is wider. I think for the sides that extend. Just have the mesh groups including dock move out out.

Attachments

• somside.jpg
    somside.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 9
  • somhabitat1.jpg
    somhabitat1.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 7
  • somhabitat2.jpg
    somhabitat2.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 9
  • somhabitat3.jpg
    somhabitat3.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 9

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Suddenly I'm realizing that this module is not intended to be partially buried to be protected from radiation.... sorry for not reacting earlier, but this option seems an old option, isn't it?

I think this habitat baseline is more adapted to shielding with additive manufacturing (Fig.10-6 vs. Fig.13-3 from Urwumpe's source):
1696797667566.png vs. 1696797786742.png

two different concepts:
1696797973014.png vs. 1696797942311.png

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Whats your source?
So I get this. I need to cut the windows

Attachments

• sodhabitat5.jpg
    sodhabitat5.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 6
  • somhabitat4.jpg
    somhabitat4.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 6

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Now this. I can make the windows so you can see inside but then you got to have a interior. I am going to redo the side. Make them a white foil and the cut the lines. Once I get this done. I will share the mesh for some to code the docks, the animation i Think is just move the sides out from the center

Attachments

• somside1c.jpg
    somside1c.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 2

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks. On a practical point. I wonder how they get these to the surface of the moon? And how to get in them. There are docks/doors in the sides.

This could easily made into a UACS vessels. It might be easier if I did the coding. Just add 4 docking ports. animation of the sides extending out/in.

 Additional external elements such as a Power Plant, Radiators and Airlock
proposed.

Airlock:
3.4.2.2 Airlock Module
The Habitat is currently assumed to not include an integrated Airlock in the design,
depending on an additional module to enable ingress and egress of crews and
equipment, as well as any Extra Vehicular Activity when on the moon surface. This
function is to be performed by an external additional Airlock Module that connects to
one of the docking interfaces on the side of the Habitat.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Thanks. On a practical point. I wonder how they get these to the surface of the moon?

Is mentioned briefly there, they plan to use a reusable landers to transport the buildings on the lunar surface and use cranes or similar transports to position them.

One option I see would be landing the buildings horizontally and erect them to the vertical on site, with something looking like much a Eagle transport.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The Habitat is the central component, allowing a crew to live and work on the surface of
the Moon. Nevertheless, several additional components were deemed necessary, which
can potentially be reused (landers, tugs, cranes) or expanded (power and thermal
control infrastructures) with the deployment of additional Habitats and increase in the
crew size.
The launch baseline is based on the Space Launch System (SLS) Block 2, which was at
the time of writing the best performing launcher, also with regards to its suitability for
human exploration missions. In the baseline case, separate launches are employed to
launch the Habitat, Tug (which is used to insert the Habitat and in some cases also the
Lander into Lunar Orbit), as well as the lander (that delivers the Habitat from Lunar
orbit to the lunar surface).

I have a space tug so it seems the tug would grab the habitat from SLS and land it.
Have a quest like airlock module to tie 2 habitats together.