Base Moon Village, partially buried base + Pads

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
This idea of airlock is cool in itself. The habitat is becoming great and in line with the 2020 suggestion, but not compatible with a buried habitat, which is the most realistic option for a Moon Village.

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I could imagine another way, but since Orbiter is open-source now, maybe there is even an better way to implement this by adding a new set of animation functions to the API. But this then requires more thinking and planning than I can do right now. If we could do native skeleton animations in Orbiter, we could actually cover a whole lot of new use cases, from better human figures to parachutes, tethers, inflatable structures and sails.
very promising.... I think of moving a docking system along a rail, when a vessel is already docked... I initially thought this could be done already with the current animation features. Will take a look when I'm done with my current OMX add-on...

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This idea of airlock is cool in itself. The habitat is becoming great and in line with the 2020 suggestion, but not compatible with a buried habitat, which is the most realistic option for a Moon Village.
Thanks. So just a mount with a door on side.? So I think the red and blue circle are the same. but the blue doesn't have the top covered. I can do both

Attachments

• ESA_Moon_Village1.jpg
    ESA_Moon_Village1.jpg
    206.9 KB · Views: 6
  • newlunarhab.jpg
    newlunarhab.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Boxx

Mars Addict
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Correct. The red shows a finished habitat, the blue is in process to be covered. ESA's illustration wants to show the 3D-printing technology for in-situ shielding with regolith. Look at the "tiny" autonomous printer on the side:

Moon_Village_1(bis).png

I was thinking that a slope of regolith that covers the habitat's mesh itself, would make it easy to put horizontal on a surface, even irregular.

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Here is a nice ESA video showing the lander, habitat deployment and the regolith cover. I think that this would make a really cool addon!
About the inflate/deflate animation:
I believe that it should be possible to run an "inflate" physics simulation in Blender as an animation, and extract each frame as an individual group. (Textures and materials would be the same, preferrably one texture and one material for the animated "balloon" mesh). Then you can run the animation in Orbiter by making each group scale to 0.000001 except the frame you want to show. At the end of the animation, remove the mesh with the many groups and insert one with the "finished" animation.
Kinda how this works:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks. Most of this is doable in orbiter.

We just need a lander to drop the solid airlock part. The inflatable base with the 4 cupolas. I think once the base is inflated. then a mesh of lunar surface is shown. Looks like 2 types. 1 with cupula on top and the other with 4 cupolas. If we had dimensions I could make the inflatable habitat. Have it UACS capable

Last edited: