MS Vista

Unidentified Ninja

Reaction score
I have just purchaced a new Portable Desktop Replacement Laptop PC thingy because I needed to, so as to continue with business related stuff, due to this urgency I have this excellent PC that, unfortunatelly runs on windows vista. Not by choice but necessity. The warrenty does not allow me to purge the hard drive of this levathian monster.
I had installed Orbiter and ran it successfuly from an Earth launch through a successful docking with ISS and then when on approach to the moon Orbiter crashed. Since then Orbiter crashes half way through every launch of the app, whether I reinstall from a saved copy or from a fresh download. Also, most times I extract from the zip file windows explorer crashes.
Sadly, it seems to me that I am not meant to indulge in virtual space flight courtesy of macrosoft.

Does anyone have a solution to this depressing situation? :(

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have just purchaced a new Portable Desktop Replacement Laptop PC thingy because I needed to, so as to continue with business related stuff, due to this urgency I have this excellent PC that, unfortunatelly runs on windows vista. Not by choice but necessity. The warrenty does not allow me to purge the hard drive of this levathian monster.

If anyone ever again tells me that Microsoft isn't bullying others into buying their crap ass software, I'm shoving this quote up their butt.

Damn thieves!

I had installed Orbiter and ran it successfuly from an Earth launch through a successful docking with ISS and then when on approach to the moon Orbiter crashed. Since then Orbiter crashes half way through every launch of the app, whether I reinstall from a saved copy or from a fresh download. Also, most times I extract from the zip file windows explorer crashes.
Sadly, it seems to me that I am not meant to indulge in virtual space flight courtesy of macrosoft.

You should try Vista Boost.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

This sounds awefully weired. I purchased a brand new HP machine earlier this year with Vista Home Premium and haven't had a single problem with it yet. Even the SP1 installation was smooth and uneventful.

I would suggest that you uninstall any programs you don't have any need for as any of them could be causing a conflict with Orbiter.

For that matter, how about posting the Orbiter.log? Maybe there's something in there would be helpful in this investigation.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
If anyone ever again tells me that Microsoft isn't bullying others into buying their crap ass software, I'm shoving this quote up their butt.

Damn thieves!

I'd be willing to bet that the warranty that prevents him from purging the hard drive has absolutely nothing to do with Vista and everything to do with whatever company built the computer. In fact, most problems with Windows aren't due to Windows itself but rather to all the crapware that the manufacturers load the computer with.

I run Vista on my laptop and haven't had any problems with Orbiter. Are you running with all mods disabled?

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Have you ever seen Linux?

Uh, yeah. What about it?

If you don't like Windows, stop using it. It really is that simple.

Have you ever done a clean install of Windows? IE, without all the system restore, HP backup, one billionty free apps, and a six-month AOL subscription that comes preloaded with a normal system?

Unidentified Ninja

Reaction score
The warrenty refers to the hardware.
During zip extraction AVG antivirus starts scanning, well, insofar as it sends an icon to the system tray at exactly the same time as windows explorer crashes. on further investigation I find AVG has not started scanning. Going offline and exiting AVG does not change anything, explorer still crashes. The only non essential programs that have been running were tomtom home and acer launch manager. I have always used logitec profiler to launch orbiter in the past and can't see that as conflicting with the app.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Uh, yeah. What about it?

Have you ever done a clean install of Windows? IE, without all the system restore, HP backup, one billionty free apps, and a six-month AOL subscription that comes preloaded with a normal system?

Yes, in fact I have.

And the only thing that's holding Windows on my computer is Orbiter.

Seriously though... some time ago, Microsoft tried to force laptop manufacturers to only install Vista on their laptops, not XP anymore. That backired... XP had to be reintroduced.
Why is it that Microsoft is cutting support for XP so sharply? Cos they want to convince the world that Vista is actually good so they make more money. And work has already been in progress on the next Vista-based operating system for some time now, so they can sell the same thing under a different name.

Microsoft has tried for ten years to push any hint of a console out of the system, just to later introduce Visual Basic and PowerShell when they figured out it wasn't gonna work. Guess where that came from?

Besides, the sole purpose of the operating system is to allocate resources to other programs. The user should never interact or actually see the operating system. And look what Microsoft has done - Vista, when it came out, needed more RAM to function then most of the games of that time. It actually needed a powerful, expensive graphics card to run. And a computer with a single core CPU was no longer enough.

Don't you see? It's a circle. Hardware manufacturers stop writing drivers that would run on older operating systems, forcing people to buy new operating systems. And Microsoft just provides a bigger, greedier operating system so the users are forced into buying a new computer to run them.

Retailers get paid to force such ridiculous warranties for their PCs and Microsoft is ensured that people can't use any other operating system.

Just look around, there's plenty of proof.

Unidentified Ninja

Reaction score
I have seen linux and like it, anything that does its job in a stable manner and doesn't take up most of the hardware's resources has my interest. But, it is impossible to purchase a PC with a 2 GHz dual core centrino, 3GB ram and nvidia G-Force built into it and have Linux. No one recomends it.
Vista Home Premium is very nice to look at, but I don't give a damn about BLING.
I don't understand why its so important to look fancy when its just a tool!
A tool that I have great difficulty in using for whatever purpose I intend and only end up wrestling with for hours on end.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Seriously though... some time ago, Microsoft tried to force laptop manufacturers to only install Vista on their laptops, not XP anymore. That backired... XP had to be reintroduced.
Why is it that Microsoft is cutting support for XP so sharply? Cos they want to convince the world that Vista is actually good so they make more money. And work has already been in progress on the next Vista-based operating system for some time now, so they can sell the same thing under a different name.
For the same reason that Martin no longer supports Orbiter2003. The same reason that any software company stops supporting their old software.

XP was "reintroduced" only because of the super-micro laptops (like the eeePC) which don't have the minimum requirements for Vista. These represent a rather unusual trend in hardware--typically, hardware specs go *up* as time goes on, not *down.*

Of course work is in progress on Win7. What do you expect the entire Windows team to be doing, sitting on their hands?

And having seen Win7--no, it isn't the same thing. Not even close. The system requirements should be no higher than Vista, but it's definitely better.

Microsoft has tried for ten years to push any hint of a console out of the system, just to later introduce Visual Basic and PowerShell when they figured out it wasn't gonna work. Guess where that came from?
I don't know what you mean, push any hint of a console out of the system. The vast majority of computer users don't want a console. It scares them.

Besides, the sole purpose of the operating system is to allocate resources to other programs. The user should never interact or actually see the operating system. And look what Microsoft has done - Vista, when it came out, needed more RAM to function then most of the games of that time. It actually needed a powerful, expensive graphics card to run. And a computer with a single core CPU was no longer enough.
Again, the average user disagrees. They use the operating system to get to their Word or their IE or whatever, and if it looks cool, hey all the better. The average user is where the money is, so that's who Microsoft aims at.

My test box over the summer was a single-core machine with only 1GB of RAM, and it ran Vista passably if you turned off all the nifty features. And no, Vista does not need a powerful, expensive graphics card to run. The features that need graphics cards (ie, Aero) can easily be turned off.

Don't you see? It's a circle. Hardware manufacturers stop writing drivers that would run on older operating systems, forcing people to buy new operating systems. And Microsoft just provides a bigger, greedier operating system so the users are forced into buying a new computer to run them.
You're never *forced* to buy a new operating system. If you want to keep doing the stuff you're already doing, then you can keep your old one. If you want to do the newest, most top-of-the-line stuff, of course you need a better system. If you're expecting to run top-of-the-line games on a computer from 2001, your expectations are what need to be corrected.

Retailers get paid to force such ridiculous warranties for their PCs and Microsoft is ensured that people can't use any other operating system.
Retailers get paid by who? Microsoft? Absolutely not. The warranty for your PC has absolutely nothing to do with Microsoft and everything to do with your PC manufacturer.

In one of the larger department meetings we had over the summer, the idea was jokingly kicked around to give Win7 a "remove crapware" tool which would allow the user to remove all the junk that manufacturers put on their computers.

Just look around, there's plenty of proof.
You make incorrect assertions, and then claim that there's proof?

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
Do you have installation disk of Vista and did you install SP1?
Maybe is best that you install a fresh vista,sometimes don't install well and need a new installation.

Unidentified Ninja

Reaction score
Uh, yeah. What about it?

Yes, I too have done a clean install without the superfluous crap. And NO it did not help, which is why I had to replace it with such urgency.
I still have the old PC, now its in the garage without antivirus or any network connections, now it works fine. Its the stuff thats compulsary that's incompatible. Whats the point of using a PC if you're not secure online?
ITs Too BIG, Too Messy and Too Fragile.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I thought you said you couldn't wipe the harddrive, so you couldn't do a clean install?

And what are the system specs?

Unidentified Ninja

Reaction score
Do you have installation disk of Vista and did you install SP1?
Maybe is best that you install a fresh vista,sometimes don't install well and need a new installation.

Unfortunately not. And I will not throw good money after bad by purchasing a copy of what I assume I have already purchased once.
I may say, Stuff the warrenty and install XP instead, as I do have the disks for that OS still and I know it runs ok so long as it has the space and willingness to share it with security software.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Unfortunately not. And I will not throw good money after bad by purchasing a copy of what I assume I have already purchased once.
I may say, Stuff the warrenty and install XP instead, as I do have the disks for that OS still and I know it runs ok so long as it has the space and willingness to share it with security software.

Presumably the computer has a COA sticker on the bottom. You can use any Vista install discs, as long as they're for the same version as the COA sticker which has your CD key.

Your computer manufacturer probably offers the discs somewhere. They're the ones who didn't give them to you in the first place.

Unidentified Ninja

Reaction score
I thought you said you couldn't wipe the harddrive, so you couldn't do a clean install?

And what are the system specs?

I was refering to XP on my old Dell desktop. Its fine so long as it doesn't go on any kind of network. Still doesn't have the cappacity to run Orbiter though. 256mb ram, thats why. Its replacement has 3gigs and dual core, Vista takes up more or less one third of that. :rofl:

liber

Reaction score
Website
www.bw.org
I was refering to XP on my old Dell desktop. Its fine so long as it doesn't go on any kind of network. Still doesn't have the cappacity to run Orbiter though. 256mb ram, thats why. Its replacement has 3gigs and dual core, Vista takes up more or less one third of that. :rofl:

What,on my old PC run Orbiter on 128 mb ram,16 mb graphic card and CPU 1.2 GHz.
It take a minute to load and start to play. Sometimes I remove texture for faster load. :lol:

Unidentified Ninja

Reaction score
Presumably the computer has a COA sticker on the bottom. You can use any Vista install discs, as long as they're for the same version as the COA sticker which has your CD key.

Your computer manufacturer probably offers the discs somewhere. They're the ones who didn't give them to you in the first place.

A good point, but I'm not really all that bothered about reinstalling an OS thats as bloated as Vista anyway, besides, even this act would invalidate the warrenty. I would have to claim on the warrenty and have the PC serviced by the manufacturer, this would be the correct procedure. However I think it unlikely that with the only failure that I have encountered, that being the installation and/or running of orbiter, will warrent a claim on the guarantee.
If I am going to end the guarantee, then I would much rather do it with the installation of a lighter OS.

-----Posted Added-----

What,on my old PC run Orbiter on 128 mb ram,16 mb graphic card and CPU 1.2 GHz.
It take a minute to load and start to play. Sometimes I remove texture for faster load. :lol:

Yeh, I know, but I do like to get the best experience I can out of orbiter and it runs on the Dell with XP at the limit. I could reduce its hunger for resources more, its just that I don't want too. :hmm:
Surely its better to have a small truck that can carry a heavy load than to have a large truck that can only manage half that of the smaller truck.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Okay, since your Vista machine is currently working entirely except for Orbiter, let's fix that, rather than killing ants with sledgehammers.

We kind of hijacked this into a thread about Vista, whereas it should be about fixing your problem with Orbiter on Vista.

Can you post your Orbiter.log?

Unidentified Ninja

Reaction score
Okay, since your Vista machine is currently working entirely except for Orbiter, let's fix that, rather than killing ants with sledgehammers.

We kind of hijacked this into a thread about Vista, whereas it should be about fixing your problem with Orbiter on Vista.

Can you post your Orbiter.log?

Thanx, I was Coming to think nothing positive was going to occure here.
I have kind of got round the extraction bit by simply persisting with the explorer crashes and continuing with extraction bit by bit after every restart of explorer.
I have also got the orbiter scenario launcher up. I have not however changed anything in it or launched it as yet, so, for the moment there won't be anything in the log file. One small question though, as orbiter only managed to get half way through loading before app crash, would there be anything in the log file, or are you refering to the warning dialog that comes up after the app has crashed?
I won't try to launch orbiter quite yet as I am performing a virus scan and will be retiring now as its 20 past midnight.
I will try again tomorrow though, and thanx again for the offer of helping me out here.:thumbup: