My adventures with Oribter so far.

Sparky

Reaction score
I realized how long this was going to be so I decided to put it into parts.

Part: Taking off and going for orbit
Well I said in the meet and greet thread

I started using orbiter after I came across some videos about it about two months ago (for some reason it was under space documentaries in search for youtube and I don't know why). After the first one I decided to look for more thinking it was part of some serious or something. Well I came across a absolute beginner guide and started getting hook after two days of watching his videos I decided to download it for my self and try it out.

So here is my experience so far. I read the manual and attempted my first takeoff I took off just fine since I am used to flying in simulations cause I used to have microsoft flight simulator 2002, and that was way back when that was new and haven't had much of a chance to get a new anyway so I take off just fine and flew rather well I even did a few barrow rolls and a few loops but when it came to the landing... let's just say I had a crash course in how well the deltaglider works. I over did everything and round up spinning and rolling out of control on the runway and finally came to a stop somewhere about a km from the runway.

My second flight was much better I flew fine like before and had a somewhat successful landing, mean i landed on the ground with out any problems but one. I missed the runway, I felt to stupid. Well it took about twenty more tries but I managed to land on the runway. I wasn't alined properly but as least I got to it. So I decided that was good enough to attempted a reentry landing.

I get the deltaglider into space and try to make and orbiter but went higher than what I thought I was. At this point I didn't think the use any MFD I thought I could do it on my own. Turns out I was wrong while trying to make an orbit I like you see in the movies (embarrassing but true) I fly out way past the moon and out to who knows where. I decided to time warp to see if I happned to reach another planet with some luck. and no I didn't I flew out of the solar system.

So next I decided the manual only helps so far so I watched the first two absolute beginner guide videos again and tried it out that way. Another thing I learned never doubt someone with experiences with something like this. He said "in you first dozen or so orbits you would never have a perfect orbit". I thought I could prove him wrong. I spent three days trying to make an good orbit. My first successful orbit to two hours after watching the video and I was nowhere near perfect. My PeA and ApA where pretty bad it like PeA 500k and ApA 1.8 M I think. well after three days I got an orbit which I considered acceptable at PeA 325k and an ApA of 503k so not too bad but still not perfect. I didn't get a perfect orbit until about a week ago cause I stop trying to make a perfect orbit until than.

After the three days I thought "Well I could get the deltaglider into space the shuttle should be easy too. No I'm still having problems with it. I can't even figure out how to get the computer controls off (and no I haven't looked in the manual for it either) so after a few hours of frustration I said to myself "forget this I'm going back to what I know" Since than I have almost completely used only the deltaglider.

Not to long ago I decided to the deltaglider IV. Oh how I love that DG IV. It's computer can do all the work getting into space, and as much as I loved it I felt I should be able to do better than I was before with the standard one. Well I'm embarrassed to say that after that is when I made my perfect orbit. I am not considering the Deltagliders IV's computer doing the work as me doing it, I used the standard deltaglider and got a PeA of 204.6 and ApA of 204.7 it took several attempts but I got better and better until I got it.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
One of the benefits of using a craft with an excellent autopilot; you can watch what it does and mimic that in a different craft.