My First De-orbit and landing on Orbiter

Lydia

Cynder Fan
Reaction score
well when i use basesync MFD no matter which way i burn the rinc raises

orbekler

Reaction score
Yet, the only real tools that are needed here are BaseSync (when you see + go ANTInormal and viceversa) and AeroBrake.

XR-5 is the biggest among Altea vessels, but this does not mean that is the most difficult to handle in a reentry, actually XR-2 is the most sensible and unforgiving.

Just my point of view, of course.

If you can find it useful, here a reentry with a XR-1 (I can assure you ther's no difference with a XR-5).

[ame="http://vimeo.com/19787701"]http://vimeo.com/19787701[/ame]

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
After nearly three years of trying, I'm still having "issues" with getting the shuttle down. I'm working on GlideslopeMFD and am almost there.

After Oceanic posted a video tutorial I could nail the landings on the DGIV and the whole XR series. Deadstick into Wideawake was more of a thrill than my first docking to ISS.

Lydia

Cynder Fan
Reaction score
forget that it was my orbit i had

---------- Post added at 23:42 ---------- Previous post was at 23:28 ----------

BINGO it worked, Wheel stop Wideawake!

Last edited:

orbekler

Reaction score
its good for small craft like DGIV and XR2 but im using the XR5 now on my main install to build stations so i need to learn how to deorbit correctly

You think the XR-2 is unforgiving? Then what do you call the Space Shuttle?

Ya, it's pretty difficult, but...
We're talking about XR-5 - stay on topic.

Lydia

Cynder Fan
Reaction score
orbekler your method worked i had wheel stop, Wideawake

Scattykat

Reaction score
Here's a tip I'd like to share about when to do the deorbit burn - I haven't seen this written anywhere else.

People say when asked where to do the deorbit burn, "Burn on the other side of the planet half way round from the base"

The thing is when exactly is half way round? It's one thing to try and eyeball it from map mfd or wherever but it sure would be nice to burn on the exact moment to the second half way round.

Well if you have BaseSync open, set up and aligned with your base, on the last orbit, you will see on the left hand side of the mfd time to base in seconds. If you have Orbit mfd open you'll see about a third of the way down "T", which is the orbital period in seconds... Just divide that number by 2 and you know exactly how long half an orbit takes. Now all you need to do is burn when this number comes up on time to base in BaseSync - Bingo you have burned from exactly half way round the planet, moon or wherever! :thumbup:

Hope this tip helps! :)

Last edited:

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Smart! I like this tip! I'll check it out.
But wasn't it enough to enable TRK on MAP MFD and wait until the TGT base "jumped" from left edge to right edge?

...Or, better yet, open DEO page on BaseSync MFD and burn when told to...

Scattykat

Reaction score
Smart! I like this tip! I'll check it out.
But wasn't it enough to enable TRK on MAP MFD and wait until the TGT base "jumped" from left edge to right edge?

...Or, better yet, open DEO page on BaseSync MFD and burn when told to...

Both good methods, though I would say using the map is technically still eyeballing and with the DEO programme, what happens if you don't like to be told when to do things? :lol: And setting up the parameters seems quite complex - well I was never able to figure it out :shrug:

Last edited: