My first unpowered landing

SystemsLock

Reaction score
Does the real shuttle have to make a turn before landing? Or is the reentry done so it matches the runway heading?

EnDSchultz

Reaction score
Yeah, in my latest mission returning from the moon in the XR2 (using very conservative ISP settings) I ended up at around Mach 3 at 30km over Cape Canaveral, so I just circled over the runway until I was low and slow enough to begin final approach. Even then, though, I ended up too fast since the XR2 soaks up speed like nobody's business when the tanks are empty!

EnDSchultz

Reaction score
Well, yes, I did. I suppose I should qualify by saying I was going too fast and had to use the airbrakes on final. But having to use the airbrakes doesn't feel very...pro. :p

Aviator

Reaction score
Can't say i have ever used aerobrake mfd or base-synch mfd.. maby ill give it a go sometime..

Anyway generaly i do the "burn on the other side of the earth" from a fairly low orbit and lower the PeA down to around 30km and just turn up acceleration till im around 100km altitude.
Then its radiator away, autopilot on for 40deg AoA and a little bank angle if im not quite lined up on the map mfd.

After that i just balance airspeed with altitude while keeping an eye on hull temperature though i tend to find its not an issue in the XR ships if you go for a long drawn out reentry.

I tend to try and enter early and hold out in the upper atmosphere by lowering my pitch and just let the atmosphere support me and gently slow the ship.

If i seem a little fast for where i am on the map, ill descend a little quicker.
if i seem a little slow.. ill decrease the pitch and glide in the thinner air a little longer.

Its all just managing energy, stay ahead of the ship and avoid sudden changes in flight path and temperature shouldn't be a problem.
Aim to overshoot a little so you get some room to breath, you can always do some S bends or pitch up to fall a little faster.

Really if you just take it slow you have all the time in the world, it doesn't take too long to get a feel for it. :thumbup: