Updates NASA’S First Asteroid Deflection Mission-Double Asteroid Redirection Test (DART)

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I mean, really NASA, the folks who are watching this are self-selected geeks. GIVE US THE DATA!!!

Yes.
In God we trust, all others bring data.
I want to see an overlay on the cam feed with range, range-rate, pitch, roll, yaw, and more.

JPL did raise the bar quite high...

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
I wonder exactly how much dV will be applied to Dimorphos?
I would guess a few mm/sec at most, 6km/sec golf cart hits an enormous rock...

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Rocks visible in Didymos!
Predicted miss distance: 17 meters!
:hailprobe:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Rocks visible every where.... the end is near....

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Big pile of rubble... and IMPACT! :hailprobe:

llarian

Reaction score
Interesting to see that the little seemed to have its own rock orbiting just off its surface. or it could just be a big rock peeking out of the shadow.

Last edited:

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I'm sure the engineers that in the 60s that went thru several crashes trying to land their probes on the Moon or Mars are probably a bit torn with the celebrations of a crash... :unsure:

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Scott Manleys summary (so far):

llarian

Reaction score
The ATLAS observations were most impressive. That little asteroid took a good wallop. It will be interesting seeing the numbers that come out of this event. Now, cummon guys ... Launch Hera!

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Physical properties of asteroid Dimorphos as derived from the DART impact
On 26 September 2022, NASA’s Double Asteroid Redirection Test (DART) mission successfully impacted Dimorphos, the natural satellite of the binary near-Earth asteroid (65803) Didymos. Numerical simulations of the impact provide a means to find the surface material properties and structures of the target that are consistent with the observed momentum deflection efficiency, ejecta cone geometry and ejected mass. Our simulation that best matches the observations indicates that Dimorphos is weak, with a cohesive strength of less than a few pascals, like asteroids (162173) Ryugu and (101955) Bennu. We find that the bulk density of Dimorphos ρB is lower than ~2,400 kg m−3 and that it has a low volume fraction of boulders (≲40 vol%) on the surface and in the shallow subsurface, which are consistent with data measured by the DART experiment. These findings suggest that Dimorphos is a rubble pile that might have formed through rotational mass shedding and reaccumulation from Didymos. Our simulations indicate that the DART impact caused global deformation and resurfacing of Dimorphos. ESA’s upcoming Hera mission may find a reshaped asteroid rather than a well-defined crater.
41550_2024_2200_Fig4_HTML.png

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41550-024-02200-3