News Nations debate space federation

dumbo2007

Crazy about real time sims
Reaction score
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2014/01/10/world/nations-debate-space-federation/#.UtFvofTRh8F

“We all share a deep stake in extending humanity’s reach further into the solar system, advancing innovation further and faster, and extending the benefits of discovery to more people in more places,” Deputy Secretary of State Bill Burns

Countries such as Brazil, China, Japan, India and Russia all sent delegations to the first such ministerial-level meeting focusing on space exploration, with participants listening to simultaneous translations through headsets (though no Klingon language was offered).

Seems [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starfleet"]The Federation[/ame] may just happen :)

Jokes apart, its time we, as in mankind, pooled efforts.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I would already be happy, if all agree on keeping the ISS program running till 2024...

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Little sense to this unless China (more than 1 Terran on 6 is chinese) participates IMHO.

dumbo2007

Crazy about real time sims
Reaction score
The ISS has been extended to 2024:
http://www.universetoday.com/107905/nasa-international-space-station-operations-extended-to-2024/

Gerstenmaier also sees the ISS as a proving ground for future human spaceflight plans to head out to deep space. “NASA doesn’t think of ISS and deep space human plans as separate, but as a combined strategy,” he said.
A recent review of ISS modules and equipment ensured that the station could likely last until 2028, and Gerstenmaier said this new extension allows operations to be at least considered until nearly 2030.

There is a chance of other space agencies joining in as initial talks are on.

By the way, what was the total cost of the ISS for its construction and how much does its upkeep cost ? From the comments I gather $100 billion and $2 billion respectively.

Last edited:

MattBaker

Reaction score
The Federation will never happen due to...sorry I may not continue this here without getting basement-ish.

And to be honest I have serious doubts of really deep cooperation between the US and China. I'd like to be proven wrong but let's be honest: The popular opinion of China in the US isn't the best (don't know about the other way 'round) and cooperation always means "paying money for each other's benefit". And funding an advance of China in space , which always had a national prestige side (no Race into Space joke, move along!) and a military side? Sorry, I doubt it.

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
Similar to Star Trek:rofl:.
500px-Flag_of_the_United_Federation_of_Planets.svg.png