IMFD Need IMFD Help

supercell1970@

Reaction score
I cannot seem to get IMFD to work correctly when making interplanetary moves.
It works properly when traveling from earth to the moon, but when I try to go to jupiter, it tells me that the burn vector is incorrect. I try to use PB ans AB and nothing happens. What is the easiest way?

Kveldulf

Reaction score
I cannot seem to get IMFD to work correctly when making interplanetary moves.
It works properly when traveling from earth to the moon, but when I try to go to jupiter, it tells me that the burn vector is incorrect. I try to use PB ans AB and nothing happens. What is the easiest way?
If you're going to Jupiter, keep in mind that the setup is different then an Earth to Moon trip. Your setup should have the REF set to the Sun, the SRC as Earth (because you can't calculate a plan like this while you're still under the influence of Earth's gravity), and the TGT as Jupiter.

At this point, choose your TEj and TIn values. When you're ready, call up the Orbit Eject program, and use that to eject from Earth's orbit. Once you've left the Earth's SOI, you can change the SRC from Earth to your vessel (enter 'x').

Last edited:

supercell1970@

Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks a bunch, also, is this orbiter in anyway similar to the space shuttle's cockpit as far as orbital mechanics are concerned?

Tommy

Reaction score
Not quite sure I understand the question, there's a bit of an "Apple vs Orange comparison. "Orbital Mechanics" is about manipulating your Orbit - knowing when to apply how much force in what direction to achieve the desired results. A cockpit is about manipulating the vessel. If you are asking if the cockpit is accurate, not in the "stock" Atlantis. Some add-ons, such as Space Shuttle Ultra (AKA SSU) the cockpit is much more accurate and "functional".

As far as Orbital Mechanics, Orbiter is fairly accurate. Orbiter is based on Newtonian physics, rather than Einstienian, so relativity isn't modeled. However, when travelling in the solar system (unless you are using a very futuristic ship such as the Vespucci-D) you won't be going fast enough for relativity to have any significant impact, so the sim is still very accurate. The methods used to navigate and manuever in Orbiter are the same as used in real life. In real life, however, Mercury exhibits some relatavistic effects - Newtonian physics (gravity, inertia, equal and opposite reactions) don't quite explain Mercury's orbit. These differences are slight, but Orbiter probably isn't as accurate for trips to Mercury as it is for, say, trips to Mars. Also, Orbiter's atmospheric model isn't quite accurate either (Earth's atmosphere is being modelled more accurately in the next vesion) so low orbits around planets/moons with an atmosphere are a bit innacurate also, but the difference is small. In Orbiter, atmosphere's have a hard threshhold above which the atmosphere isn't considered so an Orbit that will be stable in Orbiter may not be IRL. For instance, currently the Earth atmo ends at 200k, so the ISS will remain in Orbit indefinitely. IRL, there's still a very tiny bit of air even that high up, and the ISS will require "boosting" every few years to stay in Orbit.