OHM Negishima Space Center v0.2

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: pipcard

Treeless version: http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6741

Negish ima Space Center is a spaceport located on Negishima, a fictional island in the Pacific Ocean (3.9°N, 139°E). It is far south from the (fictional) country of Hatsunia. The island’s name comes from its resemblance to a green onion (negi). The Hatsunia Aerospace Science and Development Agency (HASDA) and the commercial launch service provider Hatsunespace conduct orbital launches from this island.

v0.2 adds scattered palm trees, as well as changes to the M-II launch pad
and the building behind the Negi-5 launch pad.

Installation

Unzip this .zip file, and copy its contents into the folder where you installed Orbiter. A Delta-glider take-off scenario is included.

Disclaimer
Hatsunia is a fictional, alternate version of Japan based on the virtual singing character “Hatsune Miku.” The Hatsunese space program is a more ambitious version of the Japanese Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA). The base itself takes inspiration from Loru’s Carl Sagan Space Center, Tanegashima Space Center (in Donamy’s “H-IIB HTV” addon), and the Kagoshima launch pad (in BrianJ’s add-ons).

Thanks to Martin Schweiger for creating Orbiter, csanders for creating Base Maker, and the Orbiter community for helping me in creating this.

DOWNLOAD

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Nice job. I need to try out that seaport you've got, it still looks a bit smallish. I like the static display you've got. I launched a Themis out of there just to play around a bit.

Looks like you've got a nice foundation built.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Surface tiles looks bit plain for me but as PhantomCruiser said: it's nice foundation.

To the person who rated this a 2, please explain why.

Since vote is anonymus on OHM your request is similar to demanding explanation someone's vote in presitential election.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Your 0.1 is at least a lot better than somebody elses 1.0

I00I

Not from this world
Reaction score
“Mystery creates wonder and wonder is the basis of man's desire to understand.”

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I've had this nagging feeling that Negishima in its current state is too flat and grassy, and needs some trees.

But the obvious issue is how to implement that without having too many polys.

for example, here are low-poly groves on Omelek Island in the [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3470"]A.R.T.[/ame] add-on
cDgn2dv.png

or should I have a bunch of palm trees lying around, like [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4246"]Overton Island[/ame]?
OI_screen.jpg

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
Well, I would imagine that if it was a man-made island, the trees could've been removed. IDK. I imagine that if there weren't any trees, though, the high coastal winds ever present in the ocean might just race across Negishima, damaging delicate structures like those launch pads. Trees would help break up those winds. Or am I wrong? Not too sure myself.

I prefer the Overton Island trees, just because they look better than A.R.T, though the poly count will be higher.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It's supposed to be a natural island that happened to look like a green onion.

Why don't you try both? The simple walled trees inside the forests and some separate trees at the edges for making it look less artificial?

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I prefer the Overton Island trees, just because they look better than A.R.T, though the poly count will be higher.
I took a closer look, and those palm trees are actually just two intersecting planes with a transparent texture.

edit: actually, they are a bit more complex than that, otherwise they would cast square shadows.

Last edited:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I have decided to go with scattered palm trees with transparent textures. (Note that the array below is one mesh. There will be multiple copies of this array.)

mBeN4NC.png

However, I am unsure about shadows, because the edges are simplified, and those determine the shadow that is casted. But if I add more edges to make it contour to the shape of the palm tree's fronds, there might be performance issues.

TmvIh23.png

If I choose not to include shadows, then I can even make the shape only 4-sided. So maybe I might do just that, resulting in even better performance. Actually, I won't do that, because that will create a bigger "cloak" for objects that are behind it.

(currently, there are 39 palm trees for about 200 kilobytes)

Last edited:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
tyQWb3D.png

---------- Post added at 06:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

v0.2 is now available.

Last edited:

Nicholander

Reaction score
I really like how it looks, but it lags by game down by quite a bit. So I'll stick to using the 0.1 version of Negishima.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I can get over 60 fps with the trees. But I uploaded a [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6741"]treeless version[/ame].

On the other hand, I can't run Kerbal Space Program like that. It usually runs at about 20 fps.

Nicholander

Reaction score
0.1 and 0.2 treeless run at pretty much the same rate, so I'll use the 0.2 treeless. Also, how did you get 60 FPS!?!? I got about 22 FPS when having the whole Negishima Space Center in view WITHOUT the trees!