Project New Baseland Version

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Hi Topper, thanks for this new version, it's really cool. I like the way you've projected the terrain data on the MFD screen.

Do you plan on supporting "direct" landings in this version?

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hi Topper, thanks for this new version, it's really cool. I like the way you've projected the terrain data on the MFD screen.

Do you plan on supporting "direct" landings in this version?

Hi, dgatsoulis
thank you for testing and for your feedback!
I'm not sure, what you mean with "direct" landings?

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Hi, dgatsoulis
thank you for testing and for your feedback!
I'm not sure, what you mean with "direct" landings?

Going directly for the base, without doing an orbit insertion burn. Like the one in this video:

About testing the current alpha.dll.
It has been great so far. Both scenarios work great and the ships land gently on any selected pad, avoiding the terrain. Everything looks good on my end.
:thumbup:

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
At the moment that's not the intention, but maybe it's possible to implement such programs in the future.

However, if you pass the base in a "flyby", the autopilot should handle that. But if the angle of the "impact path" is to high, I think it will not work so far.

From which addon is that scenario?
And do you know if it is more fuel efficent than going into lunar orbit before?

Last edited:

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
At the moment that's not the intention, but maybe it's possible to implement such programs in the future.

Thank you for taking the time to make the MFD. Having done so many manual landings in the past, it gets a bit boring. Baseland for Orbiter 2016 was something that was certainly missing!

If you do find the time to add direct landings that would be great, but even without them, this MFD is certainly a very useful tool to have.

From which addon is that scenario?
And do you now if it is more fuel efficent than going into lunar orbit before?

The scenario is from a challenge I had posted a few years back. Here is the link.

It's not more fuel efficient for normal lunar journeys (3 to 5 days duration).
For lunar journeys with 60 hours duration or less, it is slightly more fuel efficient.

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Does someone tested it with native graphic client? If so I recommend to use the D3D client because with native driver the autopilot is "oscillating" I don't know why and how to solve this...

BTW I noticed that the ravenstar on PAD 6 will disappear under the landing pad but with native Deltaglieder this will not happen... But I don't think that this is a big of the autopilot...

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I uploaded a new version.

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hello,
i posted an update again. (See first post).

Please delete you old baseland scenarios before (folder Scenarios\baseland).

The new folder comes with this zip contains the challange "Mission to Aristilus" and a new folder structure.

I've added one "s" to much last time, so please delete the floder "Plugins" in your orbiter\modules if this folder contains only the alpha.dll.

Make sure that you see the html scenario description.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
Hi, thanks that you undertake the challenge to make a new Baseland!

Just a minor wish: I am using the JSGME mod manager, which stores the mods in a separate folder, to easily sweep them in and out. It would be easier to identify the correct mod, if you could name the container folder 'Baseland', not 'Alpha'. Same for the dll itself.

I think the project has already a high degree of maturity, so it earns the proper name. :)

Jeorbit

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
You can rename your JSGME folders just as you like.
Indeed. Mines are prefixed with BASE-xxx or MFD-xxx or STATION-xxx to find a specific addon more easily for activation / deactivation.

And congratulations Topper for this very nice addition! Impressive!

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hi I've uploaded a new version and put the files into a folder.
Is that ok as it is now for the addon manager?
Don'T forget to delete the old alpha.dll in the module\plugin folder and activate the new BaseLandAutopilot.dll in the module tab in the launchpad.

Last edited:

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The last version will not run anymore so here is the current version

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
New version available for testing!
I have reworked the description here a bit because some points were out of date (First post)

Last edited:

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
HI, if i try the test mission with XR2 is crashing with high speed close to the pad selected, why?
Did you use Program 400 with hover brake manouver?
If yes I can cofirm the crash.
It happens because in this scenario the altitude is way to high over the base pass for the XR2 because it has a very heavy hover engine and so it hadn't much time to flatten the approach path because else, the ships decent path does not reach the "linear approach phase" (green line) as in the red line.
In this case it can happen that it crashes into the ground if it does not reach the horizontal "zero speed" point (where no horizontal movement occurs) and this is the condition to enter the next program.

1624061347218.png

To allign this, you have to flatten the approach angle manual:
To do so:

- Check the altitude of the base in the target selection. Note that Brighton Beach has a negativ altitude.
1624058650317.png

Then use BaseSyncMFD and make sure that your altitude over base pass is just a few km (Let's say ~2.5 km is fine).
To do so burn retrograte directly after mission start till it shows something around zero or so.
[EDIT]
You should't forget to press NUM and enter "1" to show the data for the next pass only, I did't done this when I took this screenshot
[/EDIT]

1624058562468.png

You should have a picture like this in the final approach where you are not to high over the base:

1624059416818.png
Then it should work very precisely.

It's important to understand that baseland is working this way and do not reduce the altitude over the base automaticly because this is not a critical manouver and easy to execute, if you know how to do it :)

At the moment there is no calculation that you don't reach low level on target and warns you if you are to high above the target so you have to make sure this yourself...

Last edited:

Cougar

Reaction score
Hello!
Unfortunately the MFD does not show up although i activated it in the Orbiter Module Menu.
I get this error message:
============================ ERROR: ===========================
Failed loading module Modules\Plugin\BaseLandAutopilot.dll (code 126)
[Orbiter::LoadModule | .\Orbiter.cpp | 600]
===============================================================
Any ideas what might be the problem?

Best regards
Rick

Reaction score
Hello, I have installed and activated but does not appears inside the navigation menu (see image). Anyone has to share the old version of autopilot that was working? thank you

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 18

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hello, I have installed and activated but does not appears inside the navigation menu (see image). Anyone has to share the old version of autopilot that was working? thank you
Hello I have tried it on a clean O2016 version and it worked for me, default key is Shift+U!? Did you download it from the download section (link)? Are you using Orbiter Beta or so?