New guy

Archer

Reaction score
Hey guys! Thought I would introduce my self.

I just recently stumbled across Orbiter while looking through the Infinity forums. I have not had a chance to do much with the game besides messing around a bit with launches and re-entry. I do have a pretty extensive background with flight sims, and I currently fly LOMAC, DCS, X-plane, and Falcon 4 on a pretty regular basis.

IRL, I work as a flight instructor and have racked up a couple thousand hours of flight time over the last three years. I am about to go back to school for a degree in astro-engineering, and would love nothing more than to eventually wind up flying one of the new LEO commercial vehicles that are currently in development (I know, its quite a long shot.)

If you have any suggestions on what tasks I should be focusing on over the next couple of weeks while I learn to use Orbiter I would greatly appreciate it. I saw the mock mission to Mars project that forum members were involved in, and eventually would like to participate in similar events.

I was also wondering if there were any multiplayer mods out or in development that would allow us to set up a "flight training" program. As a flight instructor, I would love to set up a syllabus, lesson plans, training material, ect to help new pilots (once I become more experienced and am no longer a new pilot my self.)

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Since you've got skills with real and simulated aircraft, I think you're learning curve will be much shallower than the "typical" new guy. There is a tutorials link down at the bottom of the page that will get you moving. Many of us here started with "Go Play In Space", and I can't say enough great things about it.
Once you are comfortable "flying" there is Tex's video that will take you from KSC to the ISS using the DGIV.
Then, Oceanic has another tutorial dealing with re-entry and spot landing (at the location of your choice) using AerobrakeMFD and BasesyncMFD.
Welcome to the forum, and Happy Orbiting!

Last edited:

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
welcome aboard! - this is where FlightSimmers come when flying through "air" starts becoming too easy :p

if you have yourself a good joystick, like an x52+pedals, be sure to check out the addons board for the multi-joystick module - as it'll allow you to use your rig to the fullest :thumbup:

happy orbitingz!

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
:welcome: here ! Very interesting to have people with real flight experience !

Maybe you will give us some feedback on the "realism" of the flight models, and how to improve the atmospheric behaviour of some fictionnal spaceplanes like the DeltaGlider :)

Last edited:

Archer

Reaction score
Thanks for the warm welcome guys. When I get back from work this weekend I am going to have to sit down and run through al the flying in the "Go Play in Space" tutorial.

N_Molson, from what I can tell so far the aerodynamic properties of the delta glider seem to be adequate. It seems a lot like early (late 90s, early 2000s) commercial software; The correct amounts of forces and control effectiveness are there so the craft performs how it should, however it does not "feel" real. I am not sure how programmers have gotten the newest generation of software to feel as much like flying the real thing as they have, but it probably has something to do with having a HUGE budget.

Our schools latest update for our FTDs was about a year ago. The new software models lift/drag along something like 120 points for each aircraft surface, which I am sure goes a long way toward making stalls feel much more realistic. It is the same thing with thrust, it is actually modeled at several different points along each prop blade. That allows the forces caused by asymmetrical thrust to respond to all the factors that affect it IRL.

I know, Orbiter does not have prop powered aircraft, I am just giving an example of the level of detail that goes into the flight models in modern flight simulators.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Welcome to the forum Archer! :welcome:

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
So, what commercial spacecraft would you fancy flying on?

I myself would definitely like to fly on something with wings - I wouldn't like to be "spam in a can"! :p

I'm thinking SpaceDev's Dream Chaser would be a nice spacecraft to fly - how about you? :)

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well, you are very qualified to start out! :welcome:

Unfortunately, there is no stable multiplayer for Orbiter, even within one vessel, but your idea of instruction sounds good.
What you can do, easily and remotely, is set up a session with [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4071"]IRC MFD[/ame] and chat with people for updates. There are more complicated ways, but you should find out about those yourself.

Happy orbiting! :hail::probe:

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
:welcome: to the forums! You're doing the right thing by using go play in space. I would reccomend following that until you can launch, dock, and re-enter without flaw. After that, you can move on to objective specific tutorials (ie IMFD or XR manuals).

And, uh, when your a pilot of commercial spacecraft, don't forget your good buddies at Orbiter-Forum :thumbup: