Gaming New Microsoft Flight Simulator?

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
To be honest I was expecting worse for the GPU, considering that the RX570-590 is basically a 4-year old design, so it's good that it's still viable, as are GTX970-like cards.

CPU requirements are mostly in line with what I expected: my (very) mildly overclocked i7 4790k might be able to keep on going for a while longer, at least untile the new AMD stuff comes out.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Still, I am out with those specs.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I'm at about the minimal specs, so it all depends on how it looks with all sliders set to minimum :thumbup:

I am about at the recommended specs, but I doubt that internet connection is only specified by bandwidth....

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
For what it's worth, the internet connection is required mostly for texture and asset streaming. However, it will be possible to either not use this service at all or to preload all required assets in a given area, which is what I'll probably be doing.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Probably at a low terrain detail setting it won't need to download that much data.
On my PC I'd be more worried about disc read/write times than actual download rates :hmm:

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Luckily SSDs have come down in pricing a lot. If I can't make some more space It'll get a quasi-dedicated drive, but we'll see.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Luckily SSDs have come down in pricing a lot. If I can't make some more space It'll get a quasi-dedicated drive, but we'll see.

Yeah, the decision if I really need a HDD in my new notebook was the toughest one. I decided to pay 80€ for one in the end, for additional medium speed mass memory.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Yeah, the decision if I really need a HDD in my new notebook was the toughest one. I decided to pay 80€ for one in the end, for additional medium speed mass memory.

Even then, for the vast majority of people 500GB storage is quite enough, and SSDs in that capacity range can now be had for around 70€. Now, conventional 2.5in hdd in that capacity might cost only a third of that, but the absolute difference is now so small that especially for an internal device in a laptop it's so worth it to ditch spinning rust altogether.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Even then, for the vast majority of people 500GB storage is quite enough, and SSDs in that capacity range can now be had for around 70€. Now, conventional 2.5in hdd in that capacity might cost only a third of that, but the absolute difference is now so small that especially for an internal device in a laptop it's so worth it to ditch spinning rust altogether.

Exactly. I only use the HDD for development right now.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The standard edition is 60$, it seems. That's a lot cheaper than I thought it would be.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Planes and airports for each version....

https://flightsimulator.zendesk.com...4020-Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-Pre-order-FAQ

aircraft-list.jpg

airport-list.jpg

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
And what about the remaining airports?

Per the dev team, it has all the airports on Earth. Excerpt is below:

Microsoft Flight Simulator has all the airports in the world, its developers have said.

37,000 airports were manually edited by the developers.

In the video below, Sven Mestas, lead game designer at French studio Asobo reveals the astonishing work done by its airport team, which expanded on the 24,000 simulated airports in 2006's FSX, to the hugely ambitious target set for this year's game.

Expect to see airports of all types, from small countryside airstrips to iconic international airports, from airports nestled in small islands to airports adjacent to cities. Airports shown in the video include the Szombathely Airfield in Bulgaria, John F. Kennedy International Airport, and Aspen Pitkin County Airport.

The developers used a three-step process and a specially created tool to edit the thousands of airports in the game. First up, the developers trace logical elements straight onto the Bing aerial view map (yes, Bing - this is Microsoft after all). Then they draw the airport perimeter, followed by the runway, defining taxiways and placing parking spots according to real world data.

Secondly, the developers define surfaces. And finally, post-processing is automatically applied via algorithm.

Airport life is simulated, too, with people walking about and vehicles going about their business on the roads - day and night.

The 40 fully hand-built airports have more detail than the remaining 37,000 airports, but you can land at and take off from all of them.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I'm tempted to get the top edition mostly due to the smaller ultralights/GA aircraft listed.

Me too! So I preordered it. :tiphat:

Also noticed that KSEZ is in the hand-built airport list, w00t! It's one of my favorites b/c I love Sedona so much. :love:

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
I'll be waiting to see how the Beta shapes up, but I'll probably buy it on release day. I don't really see an advantage in preordering it.

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
I can't wait for this one! Because of the covid economy, I haven't had the time or money to get up much this year in real life so would love to get some time in the simulator to scratch the itch.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
New launch trailer posted yesterday, captured in real-time in 4k (3840x2160) @ 60 fps: