New Server for High Rez Textures

HiPotOk1978

ReFuel L.L.C CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Greetings all, ReFuel here...

I've been thinking that I want to give something to the orbiter community and what I will be able to do... most likely sometime in February I will be able to upgrade my VPS.

Its physical location is Amsterdam and it has quite the bandwidth... Ive been able to use wget to download in the range of 30+ Megabytes a second on a good day.

Sadly in its current condition I cannot store the high res textures since its drive space is quite limited. I mostly use it for my e-mail server, but I am interested in increasing that so I will have a LOT more space. My current plan is 4TB's a month in bandwidth which I haven't come close to using up.

I am interested what others that serve these hi res textures have experienced as far as bandwidth usage, and I am sure that some Orbiter fans would love to see another server on-line to serve these files.

My current thinking is to share the single ZIP files where you can click on the map and download a zip file, but that could also change.

Everyone feel free to comment on this post and let me know what your feelings are about me doing this for the community

Regards,
ReFuel

PS... I got some great plans for a Mars base to that I will be working on once the bases get fixed and don't fly in the air anymore

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
If you're after a cheap, fast box with good storage space and bandwidth, I recommend Hetzner, the German outfit who provide my current powerhouse (the link will take you to the box I rent). Their boxes all come with ipv6 and gigabit connectivity, and mine has about 3T space (and a boat load of RAM). Bandwidth is unlimited but there are traffic caps... once you get past 20T/month.

You get what you pay for; it's more expensive than Digital Ocean, but if you need disk space it's well worth it. This is the box I use to mirror the hi-res textures for the orbiter beta; because it was broken for a time, I don't have too much in the way of traffic stats, but I'm looking at graphs which suggest I'm seeing 2G per hour usage.

HiPotOk1978

ReFuel L.L.C CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I actually live in southern AZ, and if I was to replace my current VPS with another hosting company I would move it somewhere in central USA or Texas.

I am just wondering if another (third?) server would even be needed... If not, I would attempt another project for the community instead of making a useless or un-needed mirror

Still looking for input from other orbiters, so don't be shy to post on this thread

Will G. :hailprobe:

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Mirroring is always a "more the merrier" arrangement. I would welcome your addition to reduce some of the load on my box. (Click to make the graph actually visible, I can't remember how to put the full-size image inline).

discovery_enp6s0_2014_12_23-24.png

HiPotOk1978

ReFuel L.L.C CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
As it goes, I see there are a bit over 14GB of the single ZIP files, not sure about the other planets for Mars and Earth Moon, but I look forward to February to make this happen. In the meantime, I will be looking into apache for making this happen

HiPotOk1978

ReFuel L.L.C CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Mirroring is always a "more the merrier" arrangement. I would welcome your addition to reduce some of the load on my box.
When my mirror is up in a few months, shall I download from your server to mine or would you recommend somewhere else to get my files. Also what would be a good way to sync the files. I can always use a wget script to do it, and I would also like to pick a time that would be good for the sync.... daily.... every other day... weekly check for new files... etc

Last edited:

HiPotOk1978

ReFuel L.L.C CEO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Not really trying to do anything with this post other than inform everyone that is involved in talks about my plans for another mirror in February.

Sadly the extra money I was going to have this month is now gone. My mom got sick and drove to the hospital. When she got back she didn't park quite right in the handicapped spot she uses. A tow truck that contracts with the place she lives at saw it, and towed it away for a parking violation and I had to dish out 240 USD to get her vehicle back... Maybe in a few months I will be back up on the idea that I can bring this new mirror up. Sorry to anyone in advance that was looking forward to having the new mirror for this awesome sim we all love

ReFuel

Sorman

Reaction score
Website
www.softsyshosting.com
Guess, you'd better look for a dedicated server then or SSD-powered VPS with abundant RAM. The first one will probably be more expensive, but will provide you with more flexibility to store heavy objects.