New Star Wars movies confirmed (NO SPOILERS!)

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, was anyone here ever a member of the Emperor's Hammer?

Yes, but I think you are thinking of the wrong universe...

31%2B-etc7mCL._SS500_.jpg

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It's coming out in about 3 months! I'm getting into Star Wars again. Here are a few thoughts:

-At first, I thought the contempt for the Star Wars "special editions" was that of an attitude of hating things because they were new or modern. An attitude that I still find annoying. But I get the purist mentality now: the original, unaltered versions were the ones that became cultural icons, blockbuster hits, not the ones that were changed. I'm planning on seeing a "despecialized" original trilogy soon.

(2022 edit: never got to do that, though, and I honestly don't care about OT purism anymore)

-I revisited the prequels recently, but I had watched fan edits that tried to fix some of the flaws. With George Lucas saying in 1988 that people who alter films are "barbarians," he was being a hypocrite when he released the special editions, and didn't give the same HD treatment to the unaltered versions (they were actually released on DVD a decade ago, but with poor picture quality). I also kind of felt that the fan edits were also being hypocritical to that statement, but maybe it's the difference between fixing a flawed movie and making unnecessary changes to one that was already good.

-I also rewatched the RedLetterMedia reviews to remind me exactly how and why they were bad (but skipped the irrelevant skit portions). When I was a kid, I couldn't understand all of the dialogue, only sometimes. Now that I'm older, I could understand it better, and how cheesy it was (but there's some unintentional hilarity there, imo). I'll say the prequels had some good ideas with bad execution, and a bunch of bad ideas. There was stuff that went way over the heads of kids (politics, "taxation of trade routes"), and stuff that was way too immature for adults (Jar Jar). In Episode III, Anakin's turn was handled way too suddenly. They had some cool flashy action sequences that I still enjoyed, but that's about it. But I don't hate them with the same vitriol as some other people, ones that probably grew up with the originals and were let down.

Last edited:

meson800

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Those are great, I recently downloaded them.

Word of warning, don't try to stream them :uhh:

I stuck the file on my media server (plex), and tried to stream to my Chromecast. Turns out the bitrate on the first one exceeds the current wireless n speeds. Streaming over ethernet works fine though.

For wireless streaming, I transcoded the bitrate down (It doesn't seem to have affected the quality, but it will technically).

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I decided to binge watch the Star Wars clone wars cartoons in addition to the movies. Anybody noticed how unqualified the separatist leadership is? They are said to be winning during the war so that means that the republic military leadership is even worse. The same can be said for the empire.

Why does every battle involve ground troops or infantry, why can't they just nuke stuff from orbit or perform airstrikes.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Palpatine/Sidious was manipulating both sides of the Clone War, so "who was winning" ultimately didn't matter.

Anyways, John Williams really did a great job on the soundtrack, both for the originals and the prequels. Hoping that he continues this for the sequels.

Last edited:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
I decided to binge watch the Star Wars clone wars cartoons in addition to the movies. Anybody noticed how unqualified the separatist leadership is? They are said to be winning during the war so that means that the republic military leadership is even worse. The same can be said for the empire.

Why does every battle involve ground troops or infantry, why can't they just nuke stuff from orbit or perform airstrikes.

Missile defenses? In Star Wars, if you can see it, you can hit it.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It's coming out in about 3 months! I'm getting into Star Wars again. Here are a few thoughts:

-At first, I thought the contempt for the Star Wars "special editions" was that of an attitude of hating things because they were new or modern. An attitude that I still find annoying. But I get the purist mentality now: the original, unaltered versions were the ones that became cultural icons, blockbuster hits, not the ones that were changed. I'm planning on seeing a "despecialized" original trilogy soon.

-I revisited the prequels recently, but I had watched fan edits that tried to fix some of the flaws. With George Lucas saying in 1988 that people who alter films are "barbarians," he was being a hypocrite when he released the special editions, and didn't give the same HD treatment to the unaltered versions (they were actually released on DVD a decade ago, but with poor picture quality). I also kind of felt that the fan edits were also being hypocritical to that statement, but maybe it's the difference between fixing a flawed movie and making unnecessary changes to one that was already good.

-I also rewatched the RedLetterMedia reviews to remind me exactly how and why they were bad (but skipped the irrelevant skit portions). When I was a kid, I couldn't understand all of the dialogue, only sometimes. Now that I'm older, I could understand it better, and how cheesy it was (but there's some unintentional hilarity there, imo). I'll say the prequels had some good ideas with bad execution, and a bunch of bad ideas. There was stuff that went way over the heads of kids (politics, "taxation of trade routes"), and stuff that was way too immature for adults (Jar Jar). In Episode III, Anakin's turn was handled way too suddenly. They had some cool flashy action sequences that I still enjoyed, but that's about it. But I don't hate them with the same vitriol as some other people, ones that probably grew up with the originals and were let down.

I recently managed to convince my wife to watch Star Wars with me. We'd watched it previously but she didn't remember much of them.

We tried watching them in Machete order ( http://www.nomachetejuggling.com/2011/11/11/the-star-wars-saga-suggested-viewing-order/ ) -- IV, V, II, III, VI. I thought it worked really well, and the only thing I missed from Ep I was the lightsaber duel at the end. Narratively, things fit together, and you can really see parallels between Anakin in III and Luke in VI. II and III also didn't seem nearly as bad without having watched I.

I've also been watching the Clone Wars series and have been overall impressed, but it's kind of hit-or-miss sometimes. Sometimes it deals with really adult themes in a very mature way (the Republic secretly arming terrorists to take down the legitimate government of a planet), and sometimes it seems really kid-oriented. I really do like how it shows Anakin's descent to the dark side. At the start he seems just like any other Jedi, maybe a bit more willful and headstrong, but by the end he's force-choke-first, ask-questions-later.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I need to watch the Clone Wars. At the time I just ignored them, my interest was so soured by the disappointment of the prequels.

My biggest issue with Lucas is that he tried to erase the original theatrical versions of IV, V, and VI. Making enhancements or a director's cut is fine, but why do you gotta wreck the one everyone loved growing up?

Anyway, even though I know I should expect a let down, I will dutifully march off to the movie theater when VII hits the screen, like the nerdy fanboi I am, because I want to see Han, Luke, Leia, Chewie, 'D2, and '3PO ride forth once more.

I confess that despite my cynicism, the appearance of Han in that trailer was quite an emotional event for me. I really didn't expect to have such a strong reaction.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Palpatine/Sidious was manipulating both sides of the Clone War, so "who was winning" ultimately didn't matter.

I always thought that was the one really clever thing about the clone wars that Lucas came up with. If the republic wins, Palpatine rules the galaxy. If the separatists win, guess who rules the galaxy again...

I need to watch the Clone Wars. At the time I just ignored them, my interest was so soured by the disappointment of the prequels.

Theyre all right, fun to watch through once, although they dont hold much interest after that. Kinda forgettable, but worth a watch through at least once.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com

They're worth a watch. There's many garbage episodes or story arcs, especially early on, but overall I would say they're better than the prequels. The biggest improvement is the fact Anakin is voiced by a good actor. Probably the best stuff was the "Band of Brothers" episodes that focused solely on the clone troopers.

Last edited:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I had lost interest in the series after the first season ended. I remember enjoying the episodes with the starship called "Malevolence," but I also remember that there was an episode that focused on Jar Jar (in fact, looking at the episode list, there were actually two in the first season). I don't remember seeing the (pilot) movie (or maybe I did, I don't know), but I saw that it got highly negative reviews.

But lately, I've been seeing positive feedback for TCW.

Last edited:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I had lost interest in the series after the first season ended. I remember enjoying the episodes with the starship called "Malevolence," but I also remember that there was an episode that focused on Jar Jar (in fact, looking at the episode list, there were actually two in the first season). I don't remember seeing the (pilot) movie (or maybe I did, I don't know), but I saw that it got highly negative reviews.

But lately, I've been seeing positive feedback for TCW.
Yeah, there's definitely a few bad episodes, and Jar Jar should've just been left out entirely.

That said, there was one episode with Jar Jar and Mace Windu that was tolerable.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I kind of liked the episode with the Force Twins (for lack of being able to search for the proper name while at work). Dark side brother and light side sister, with an ailing dad keeping them in line.

Anakin sticks his lightsaber in dads face, dad grabs the blade and tells Anakin to put his toy away (or something to that effect).

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I remember watching the first season of the clone wars really early in the beginning when it first came out. I'm on season 4 it's pretty cool, some times the childish nature of the show gets in the way of the story...especially with jar jar and such. I like it, it keeps me distracted.

I sill can't get over how incompetent both sides are. I still don't know why anybody joins the separatists considering they have nothing to offer that the republic can't. The war itself seems futile since planets can freely join and leave the republic without problem. IMO the whole republic vs cis thing is too white vs black...there aren't many gray areas on both sides

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I kind of liked the episode with the Force Twins (for lack of being able to search for the proper name while at work). Dark side brother and light side sister, with an ailing dad keeping them in line.

Anakin sticks his lightsaber in dads face, dad grabs the blade and tells Anakin to put his toy away (or something to that effect).

In books there is follow up to that ~60 years after. Luke and his son have to confront Dad's maid that wants to rule entire galaxy.

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
5a7a4702b3313ef4e5fd47f67c9e9080

New poster for Ep7, please tell me thats not ANOTHER new death star in the background.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It is directed by JJ Abrams. Given his "work" on the Star Trek reboot, he's clearly not that interested in original stories.

We should be thankful that he didn't actually reboot Star Wars.