OHM Nimitz (CVN76)

marcogavazzeni

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiteritalia.forumotion.com
They're needed for Orbiter_NG due to a flaw in SC*'s file handling coding. It causes SC* to look for the INI files in the wrong folder. Instead of looking in Config\Spacecraft or Config\Vessels\Spacecraft it looks in Modules\Server\Config\Spacecraft (non-existant folder) or Modules\Server\Config\Vessels\Spacecraft (once again, a non-existant folder).

If you are right, I thought the model would not work even with standard Orbiter.

It is not.

This is, for now, just a mesh demo. This addon will be necessary when I have the new Script Carrier version ready. I'm trying to have a preliminary, partially functional, version quickly uploaded. It will have two catapults and the planes will leave the hangar and climb to the deck ( the lifters will follow them later).

Today I climbed from the hangar using the two lifters and took off from the two catapults so the path through the deck is mostly defined.

The flight deck uses nimitz_emis textures, visible only with D3D9, can you create landing lights with scripts?

BEEP

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Runway Lights

The flight deck uses nimitz_emis textures, visible only with D3D9, can you create landing lights with scripts?

It would probably mean to have a separate mesh with light emissive material that should be loaded and inserted in the vessel at night (or by command). Should be wave animated together and slightly above the deck in order to avoid conflicts. Because of this, probably a full "emissive runway" mesh wouldn't work but maybe some light dots at each side and on the center. The problem is that if they are big they are ugly and if they are small they will not be seen from afar. I can also create light emmiters but these are not seen themselves , only the things that they illuminate.

Good source of light points can also be created by creating "thrusters" but I would consider this to be a last desperate resource.

When the time comes we can try all these options.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Works fine !

Quite fun to press + and see the ship sink ;)

For the lights, you can go from 0 to 100% animation steps immediately on Lua, so you can simple make a mesh group scale to 0% at any time. It will disappear.

Last edited:

BEEP

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
For the lights, you can go from 0 to 100% animation steps immediately on Lua, so you can simple make a mesh group scale to 0% at any time. It will disappear.

Thanks for the suggestion.
We can simply include and exclude whole meshes from the vessel as well. That's what I do when "destroying" targets.
But I have shrunk meshes to "nothing" before in my Makeshift Targets' submarine. And I've loaded a diminute animation shrunk fireball before the actual bomb/missile impact trying to eliminate mesh loading time at explosion instant when lags are critical.

One more card under the sleeve.

But still a long way until I get there. Dealing with traffic logic now ( which can be a nightmare despite I made it very simple).

Beep

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Traffic will be hard because of time steps and the fact that you have orbiter engine going all the time.

Any vessel you put there will be subject to physics...

You can do it all in animation, having the planes as mesh groups... basically it would all be an animation. But I see some problems in having a smooth movement...

So when you have a solution please share with us !

BEEP

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This was a decision taken early in the project. All movements over the deck are in fact animations and not simulations. I could have made something that made the attachment movement according to physical laws and the vessel direction and thrust set value. But I think it's better to handle things while in CV as a commander instead of controlling each vessel on the deck using F3 all the time for a so mundane thing as a taxi to takeoff. That's why its is called CV Ops. The simulation fun starts as you takeoff and finishes as you get hook arrested. The intention is more to pose as carrier commander and to have an anywhere placeable facility to land and takeoff which, as Orbiter 2016 still lacks flat runways, has been of great value.

Last edited:

BEEP

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Need separate mesh for rotating parts.

Marco, we have a problem.

The translation animations such as the elevators and hangar doors run fine but I cannot combine rotation animations such as the ship sea waving and radar (or JBD) rotations.

The only way I can do it is if the related groups ( such as the 48 for the back radar 3 for the front radar , 5 for the higher radar, 20,36,41 for the left JBD and so on) are supplied not in the main mesh but as separate meshes , one for each radar and JBD and centered with the {x=0,y=0,z=0} coordinates at the at the rotation animation reference point.

The problem is that Vinka's spacecraft (even the 4) does not handle separate meshes so your demo would be spoiled.

I can quickly do the separation of the parts for you but I don't know how you want to handle and manage your mesh development and distribution.

Would you allow me to separate the parts and include them in my distribution package ( of course giving all credit to you for the mesh)? (So your demo will remain as it is.)

Do you want me to separate the parts and send them to you and you distribute it?

Do you want to separate the parts and distribute the package yourself?

Thanks a lot for your cooperation and understanding.

Beep

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Some time ago there was a discussion about multiple authors on Orbiter Hangar.
The simplest solution was to change the text to Uploaded By:

So the uploader doesn't need to be the author!
May help on this case :hmm:

BEEP

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Grazie Marco,

I'm very enthusiastic about these preliminary results (all animations will be functional) and I hope I'm up to your habilities, expectations and trust.

Back to work.

Beep

0076.jpg

Last edited:

JMW

Aspiring Addon Developer
Reaction score
Brilliant !!
Thank you and keep up the good work. :thumbup::thumbup:

Attachments

• Brilliant.png
    Brilliant.png
    177.2 KB · Views: 22

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Brilliant !!
Thank you and keep up the good work. :thumbup::thumbup:

:huh: So is it possible to get a usable hard deck? Isn't this just a mesh at the moment as Beep said?

and is the F35 on the deck your addon?

JMW

Aspiring Addon Developer
Reaction score
No and Yes.
I cheated as the F-35 is VTOL (it's hovering :lol:)

It's a wip for more than 6 years now........
Doesn't mean it's that great though it does have a lot of features, just means I'm very slow ! :stirpot::rofl:

Attachments

• Brilliant2.png
    Brilliant2.png
    286.8 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Wolf

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
It's a wip for more than 6 years now........
Doesn't mean it's that great though it does have a lot of features, just means I'm very slow ! :stirpot::rofl:

Well I have the feeling Beep and Marco are strongly determined and focused on releasing a functional Nimitz class Carrier soon so you better hurry up with the F-35 man :lol: :thumbup:

BEEP

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Good Morning!

0079.jpg

Last edited:

JMW

Aspiring Addon Developer
Reaction score
Looking good! :thumbup:

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    254.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Untitled1.png
    Untitled1.png
    217.8 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

BEEP

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This is getting fun. A wonderful flight listening to "Os Movimentos do Mar" ('The Motion of the Sea') from brazilian New Age composer Corciolli. Both F-14 were launched and recovered sucessfully: I left the simulation with a glorious CTRL-Q this time.

0083.jpg

JMW

Aspiring Addon Developer
Reaction score
Congrats !
Looking forward to you sharing (and I don't mean the music :lol:)
:thumbup::thumbup:

BEEP

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Almost ready for a preliminary release. I'm commited to do it before november ends.

0090.jpg

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Looks pretty busy like that :)

EDIT: Could the flight deck code also work with Ski Jumps?