Humor [No-one's caring?] 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics Games

MattBaker

Reaction score
If you are relying on the opinion of judges to select a "winner", then what you are doing is probably a performing art and not a sport. :10sign:

Yeah, thought that one too when hearing about these new sports like slopestyle skiing. Probably a pretty rad sport but...how exactly do I as a viewer know who's better? So that guy did the double-xyz and the other the double-zyx over that ramp. So? In cross country I can see how a guy runs te seconds faster through the snow, in slopestyle skiing or figure skating...

Then again, watching art isn't that bad either. You aren't watching these sports because they're exciting or objective but because they are an art, have aesthetics.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Our coverage is getting though a fair amount of events. Looks like we has the Women's Ice hockey up next. Fin vs USA.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Sometimes, I really hate NBC. Beyond deciding to not live-stream various events, they also insult our intelligence.

We think it’s very important that we package that event with all the Russian culture and history that’s being creatively expressed, much of that program might not make sense to viewers without the context that Matt Lauer and Meredith Vieira are going to bring to that.

In other words, unless our anchors spoon feed it to you morons, you won't be able to understand its meaning.:facepalm:

MattBaker

Reaction score
Well, to be honest Olympics is one of the few times where I remember why I pay for public broadcasting. Our ARD/ZDF duo cover pretty much everything, stream online and even have multiple streams when events run simultaneously. So right now you can decide if you prefer to watch ice hockey or snowboarding.

Quality of the commentary in things like ice hockey are surely not on the same level as NHL ice hockey but then again: So aren't 90% of Germans watching this.

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
The BBC have built on the success of the London 2012 Olympic coverage are showing almost all events live via the web.

Melvin

Reaction score
Yeah, but when the smoking hot Curling Women bend over and start sweeping the floor it really gets me going.

Not to mention the intense sexuality that oozes from the ice as they slide along, yelling at the stones and each other.

Aeadar

Lurker Representitive
Donator
Reaction score
I think I have to agree there. Where else can you hear a group of hot women yelling, "Faster, faster!"?

Aeadar

Lurker Representitive
Donator
Reaction score
:rofl:

Well, on network TV, that is.

Mantis

Reaction score
I'm hoping to see a repeat of 2010 for out athletes. We didn't win the most medals but we placed first in rankings by winning the most gold medals - in fact the most ever by a host team. I'd love to see a repeat of the double hockey gold!

MattBaker

Reaction score
I'm hoping to see a repeat of 2010 for out athletes.

Well, your freestyle skiing ladies and slopestyle snowboarder already completed a full set of medals, I think Canada profits a lot from these new sports.

Staiduk

Reaction score
To be fair to curling; Sport isn't neccesarily about speed or strength. I personally love the late Sandra Schmirler's comment: "Foortball is called a game of inches. I wish we had inches!" Curling is about careful strategy, phenomenal accuracy and hard-learned skill. It may not be exciting to watch if you're more into fast sports; I personally find it incredibly exciting, and nail-bitingly intense. For the viewer; the enjoyment of curling is the anticipation: the leadup and planning of each move; the speculating about what that idiot down there is going to do next - because we ALL know what the right move is, yes? And since he/she's not reading our minds; there must be a brain fault there somewhere. And the sweepers are TOTALLY incompetent of course - how did they ever manage to make it into provincial competition, much less the Olympics?!? Someone was paid - we're sure of it. Put US in that rink; and we'd show them how to do it.

At least right up until the last stone slides down the ice and a shot that Angels sing about stuns the world. Then we scream in delerium and sing their praises - and go right back to complaining and critiquing at the next game.

Gotta love it. :)
:cheers:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I figured it was kinda like that. I feel the same way about bowling and darts, if you are into it (really into it) it can be heart stopping.

80mileshigh

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
eightymileshigh.wordpress.com
Ski Jumping is awesome, and should appeal to anyone with an attraction to aerodynamics (which is everyone here, right?). Ski Flying, even more so:

Europeans have all the best sports!

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
We almost had a ski ramp in Brisse. Would have been able to train all year round and not get cold doing it!

80mileshigh

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
eightymileshigh.wordpress.com
We almost had a ski ramp in Brisse. Would have been able to train all year round and not get cold doing it!

Ha! I just read about that (going through my read-everything-you-can-find-about-new-interest phase).

We have a hang glider ramp here, at Mt Donna Buang:

2006bencairn2.jpg

It gets covered by snow sometimes ... landing might be a bit rough. :)