Launch News North Korea comes again for third attempt to send satellite into space in April

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
A spokesperson from the Korean Committee for Space Technology has announced that they will launch Kwangmyongsong 3 into orbit between April 12 and April 16 using the "Unha 3" launch vehicle, marking one century since the birth of the late Kim Il-sung.

CNN story

BBC story

NovaSilisko

The Siliskoiest of Siliskos
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'll get the metal umbrella...

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Sounds like it's more like a thinly veiled attempt at an illegal missile test than a satellite launch.

Agreed. It's interesting to compare the Iranian approach: they at least never lie about launch success or failure (they just hide the failures), while the NKers still claim that the two launches in 1999 and 2009 were successful, and the satellites continue to broadcast songs about their Dear Leader....

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Florida Today: North Korea reveals details about new satellite:
SEOUL, South Korea — North Korea says it aims to estimate crop production and analyze natural resources when it launches a satellite on a long-range rocket next month.

The United States and South Korea view the launch as a cover for testing long-range missile technology.

An unnamed North Korean space technology official said Wednesday that foreign experts and journalists have been invited to show that the satellite has peaceful and scientific purposes.

He also told the official Korean Central News Agency that the satellite weighs 100 kilograms (220 pounds) and will orbit at an altitude of 500 kilometers (310 miles).

{...}

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
A rocket is a rocket. ICBM vs. launch vehicle is just a matter of payload and trajectory. Same with Atlas, Titan, and R-7.

IMHO trying to determine if it's an illegal missile test is pointless- of course it could do either.

werdna

Astroarchitect
Reaction score
I heard about this too. It reminds me of the story for that game, Homefront. (I haven't played it)

http://youtu.be/M9LCotgismA?t=1m54s

As an American, watching that intro creeps me out.

North Korea is still basically dependent on China, who could basically cut their supplies and starve them if they wanted. I wish China would just stop supporting them- if they're communists, why support fascism? Do they really hate the western world enough to fuel this pathetic regime who can barely feed their own people? They keep them isolated from the rest of the world and are practically the least concerned about human rights than anyone else on the planet. Why China? Now their trying to develop nukes!

Why is NK still here in this day and age?

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
So,
having your country occupied and controlled by a foreign power, only to have it "liberated" by being torn apart by two other foreign powers with competing foreign ideologies, means that your sovereignty has been respected?

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
I heard about this too. It reminds me of the story for that game, Homefront. (I haven't played it)

Are you seriously basing that argument on Homefront? Seriously, that game needs to go away, and fast. I've seen people on other boards freaked out to the brink by paranoia where none should exist in the first place because of this annoying fear-mongering.

It's entertainment for a reason...

MattBaker

Reaction score
He also told the official Korean Central News Agency that the satellite weighs 100 kilograms (220 pounds) and will orbit at an altitude of 500 kilometers (310 miles).

Compared to Navid (Iran's latest baby): 50 kg, 250x370

I somehow doubt that, North Korea is capable to launch twice as much on a higher orbit than Iran?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I somehow doubt that, North Korea is capable to launch twice as much on a higher orbit than Iran?

It doesn't matter what you doubt. It matters what North Koreans will see in their universe. ;)

MattBaker

Reaction score
It doesn't matter what you doubt. It matters what North Koreans will see in their universe. ;)

"President Obama, this rocket from the North Koreans failed and crashed in the Pacific" - "Fine!"
*somewhere else*
"I, the Supreme Leader, am happy to tell you, that we launched a satellite into orbit!" *cheering*

Like That?:p

Linguofreak

Reaction score

http://youtu.be/M9LCotgismA?t=1m54s

As an American, watching that intro creeps me out.

Meh. Some of the predictions it makes about economic collapse in the US could come true (for purely internal reasons), but the idea of NK being able to occupy a significant part of Asia, let alone the US, is absolutely ridiculous. NK isn't a significant existential threat to any nation, but they have plenty of ability to cause painful and expensive mischief.

North Korea is still basically dependent on China, who could basically cut their supplies and starve them if they wanted. I wish China would just stop supporting them- if they're communists, why support fascism? Do they really hate the western world enough to fuel this pathetic regime who can barely feed their own people? They keep them isolated from the rest of the world and are practically the least concerned about human rights than anyone else on the planet. Why China? Now their trying to develop nukes!

Why is NK still here in this day and age?

Because nobody wants to deal with the aftermath of getting rid of it (it's got half the population of SK and is in fairy dire economic straits, so if SK were to take over it would have to invest significant resources to get NK functioning again), and because of the issue that if the US/SK invaded, China would be worried about having the US military right on their border, whereas if China invaded SK would be *incredibly* worried about having the Chinese military on their border.

MattBaker

Reaction score
CNN: Japan says it will shoot down N. Korea rocket over territory

Japan will shoot down any part of the long-range rocket that North Korea plans to launch next month that enters its territory, the Japanese defense minister, Naoki Tanaka, said Friday.

Speaking at a news conference, Tanaka said he had issued the official order after instructing the Japanese military earlier in the week to prepare the country's missile defense shield against the planned rocket launch.

Pyongyang says the operation is for "peaceful purposes," but Japan, the United States and South Korea see the launch as a cover for a long-range ballistic missile test.

So, if North Korea launches their satellite over Japan it gets shot down.
I tried to measure the possible azimuth for NK from Tonghae on a trajectory north of Hokkaido, I end up with roughly 55°.
With 55° azimuth and 41° latitude I end up with cos (inclination) = 0.38; inclination = 68° (I was the moron in math, but I think that's right, maybe someone could check;))

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
CNN: Japan says it will shoot down N. Korea rocket over territory

So, if North Korea launches their satellite over Japan it gets shot down.
I tried to measure the possible azimuth for NK from Tonghae on a trajectory north of Hokkaido, I end up with roughly 55°.
With 55° azimuth and 41° latitude I end up with cos (inclination) = 0.38; inclination = 68° (I was the moron in math, but I think that's right, maybe someone could check;))

Hmm.... that's not the announced launch azimuth: the North Koreans will launch towards the south-west to get the satellite into a sun-synchronous orbit. The path crosses the west-most islands of the Okinawa Islands, but by then the satellite should be very high already (think altitude > 100km). Unless, of course, the launch failed during ascent.... :leaving:

Here's the intended launch corridor, courtesy of Bob Christy....

Kwangmyongsong3NOTAM.jpg

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hmm.... that's not the announced launch azimuth: the North Koreans will launch towards the south-west to get the satellite into a sun-synchronous orbit. The path crosses the west-most islands of the Okinawa Islands, but by then the satellite should be very high already (think altitude > 100km). Unless, of course, the launch failed during ascent.... :leaving:

Here's the intended launch corridor, courtesy of Bob Christy....

Kwangmyongsong3NOTAM.jpg
Well, with their track record I wouldn't expect with absolute certainty that the intended azimuth will be the one the rocket will actually follow...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, with their track record I wouldn't expect with absolute certainty that the intended azimuth will be the one the rocket will actually follow...

Well, I am at least sure it will have higher chances following the assigned azimuth, than getting intercepted by Japanese ships, which are currently the only units in Japan with such capability.