General Question Nose Wheel Steering

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hi all,

it is probably a silly question, but I can't find any clear explanation nor in the various topics in the forum neither in the DG...

Is the nose wheel steering in orbiter applied just by differential braking? Is there any actual steering key that I can't find?

In the API there is the ability to activate or deactivate the nose wheel steering but then you can only apply differential braking. Still I quite don't see the point in having the ability to toggle the nose steering wheel while its functioning (differential braking) can be applied anyway... I'm puzzled :hmm:
Thanks to anyone who can help here

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Heilor wrote this years ago [ame="https://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4012"]NoseWheelTurn[/ame]

But I don't know enough to answer your question (sorry). But I do wish more SC3/SC4 craft had nosewheel steering, for those days where I'm not quite on the runway heading...

JMW

Aspiring Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi all,

it is probably a silly question, but I can't find any clear explanation nor in the various topics in the forum neither in the DG...

Is the nose wheel steering in orbiter applied just by differential braking? Is there any actual steering key that I can't find?

Don't know the answers to your questions without researching, but you could try this Fred, not very pretty but works.
Adjust lev according to weight etc of vessel.

Code:
void ShuttlePB::Steering()

{

double pos = GetControlSurfaceLevel(AIRCTRL_RUDDER);
	double lev = 1e5 * pos ;
	if( oapiGetTimeAcceleration() > 10.0 )
		return;
  if (GetGroundspeed() >0.5)
  {
	AddForce( _V( lev,0,0 ), _V( 0,0,3.33 ) );
	AddForce( _V( -1.0*lev,0,0 ), _V( 0,0,-3.33 ) );
  }

}

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hi guys,

thank you for the answers and the suggestions :tiphat:

Actually I have in mind many ways to implement the steering during taxi, first of all to simply apply the system developed with GeneralVehicle. But since I am developing a "thing" that could need to taxi here and there, I am curious to know if I can just use the orbiter core system, and then how it works, or if it's better to build my own.