Obama may link NASA-Pentagon programs

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Rocket1034040.jpg

$19.99 at Wal-Mart.

I wonder how many of those you'd need to Velcro to reach the moon. :p

Anybody care to try landing a 4000 kg payload on the moon with a stack of those things in Orbiter?

Spicer

Reaction score
The imation, I think is that NASA will be using the USAF's rockets for launches. This is in many ways similar to the approach taken with Mercury and Gemini. Delta IV and Atlas V would be ideal launch vehicles for Orion and Altair.

This approach would allow development of Ares I and V to continue, but in the mean time, we have two capable, reliable launchers which could loft the Orion for trips to the ISS.

In the long run, that would be better to keep our $$$'s in the U.S in stead of giving it to Russia for flying the less-than-capable and 40 year old Soyuz.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Delta IV and Atlas V would be ideal launch vehicles for Orion and Altair.

Orion, maybe, but Altair not so much. For starters, it'd need a large fairing, probably too big for the EELVs. Second, what's the point of launching a lunar lander into LEO?

EELV's might be a substitute for Ares I. But if going to the moon happens, it needs an Ares V.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Since my money is being taken from me to pay for this government project against my will, I have every right to complain.

But if all you're willing to do is complain to other people in an online forum, most of whom agree with you, and not actually do anything about it...perhaps your energies would be better spent elsewhere.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
But if all you're willing to do is complain to other people in an online forum, most of whom agree with you, and not actually do anything about it...perhaps your energies would be better spent elsewhere.

Well, it's a discussion forum. This is what we do here. Complain, argue, and eventually get along anyway.:cheers:

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
HERE HERE!! :cheers:
The Delta IV has a conjecture evolution to a 100mt launcher. That's the way we need to go, build on existing technology instead of all new stuff.
Actually, we need to get away from this expendable fetish NASA seems to have. Park an engine, some fuel tanks and a high-tech tin can in LEO, then keep some SSTFLO landers (Single Stage to/from Lunar Orbit) in orbit of the moon and all you need to replace is the fuel, and whatever's expendable on the LEO crew launcher like a Delta IV or whatever.

DonT155

Reaction score
EELV's might be a substitute for Ares I. But if going to the moon happens, it needs an Ares V.

Won't SpaceX's Falcon 9 Heavy suffice for a lunar launch? It doesn't look like it'd take much more development to do it. The Falcon Series is coming along nicely and SpaceX also has the Dragon cargo version almost ready. They're already awarded a NASA contract for cargo, and SpaceX specs say the pressurized Dragon version can ferry a crew of up to 7 to the ISS.

I don't think we need either NASA, U.S. military or Russian rockets now. NASA and the military aren't the only American games in town anymore. Obama'd be smart to take advantage of SpaceX's talents to close that manned spaceflight gap after the STS is retired. They've done the lion's share of development of a new rocket system without government money. So much more efficient when politicians and pork politics aren't involved...

-Don T.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Actually, we need to get away from this expendable fetish NASA seems to have. Park an engine, some fuel tanks and a high-tech tin can in LEO, then keep some SSTFLO landers (Single Stage to/from Lunar Orbit) in orbit of the moon and all you need to replace is the fuel, and whatever's expendable on the LEO crew launcher like a Delta IV or whatever.

The problem is that rocket engines experience severe wear when they're fired, and most of them can't do more than a few restarts before they're at risk for not starting at all. You wouldn't be able to leave that hardware out there without being able to service it, because it won't be reliable after a few uses. At that point, your options are to bring it back to Earth for servicing, which requires that it survive re-entry (very expensive), or just let it go (cheaper option).

Plus, what good would an engine parked in LEO do? I assume you mean to use it for TLI burns but as soon as the engine puts your crew into a TLI trajectory, guess what sort of trajectory the engine is also in...

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
I'm not sure how I feel about this. I mean, we could definitely get people to the moon faster, but there could be unforeseen consequences, such as the military wanting to turn NASA into a military organization, instead of a civilian one. Who knows

I need to reply to this.

NASA is NOTHING compared to what the Military has. This common perception that NASA is separated to somehow keep the military from militarizing space has got to go.

Spicer

Reaction score
This was mentioned earlier in the blog, but NASA won't be turned in to a military organization. It was highly associated in the '60's and '70's also. The Shuttle was intended to be a tool for spying, deploying Satellites from polar orbit. The Discovery was intended to be a polar-orbiting shuttle specifically for west coast launches.

Orion launches on the Delta IV would be ideal. It would cut costs and allow time for Ares 1 and IV development.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If you can man-rate a Delta IV in time. I'm no expert, but I know that particular process can be fun, as well. Any insiders here know what that would cost in terms of time/money?

Spicer

Reaction score
I don't know, but sign me up for the first ride!

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I actually think it's a great idea; why re-invent the wheel when you have multiple launch vehicle's that can do the job.

In today's economy it makes sense to do it this way, save money, use what you have and decrease the Shuttle-Orion gap in the process.

NASA needs to stop acting like someone stepped on their toes and get on with buisiness.

I'm gaining more and more respect for the incoming administration.

Moonwalker

Reaction score
The gap between the Shuttle and the next manned US system is unpreventable in any case.

There are certain reasons why NASA goes the way it goes. And this way is in full swing already.

There is still a promised budget increase for the Ares development. And while Obama seems to be concerned about a Chinese space flight head start to the Moon, the government potentially may fasten Constellation within the next few years, more or less like Kennedy once did so for Apollo.

BHawthorne

Simpit Builder
Donator
Reaction score
I don't know, but sign me up for the first ride!

With SpaceX's track record, are you sure you'd like those odds? Get back with me when they've done 10 human rated shots and then I'll think about it. ;)