OFMM Development Signup

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
You threw me one, bro! 1024x510 is NOT a valid .dds texture size! You should have seen me panicking, trying to figure out why in blazes it wouldn't let me save. :lol:

But it's all good now. :thumbup:

The maps you gave me are fine, but I'll take in mind what Bj said, because I'll definitely be doing more texturing. ;)

Alexw95

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
im gonna do sattelites / antennas so no one else start it

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I will texture them, as long as you don't change the smegging UV maps after I'm done texturing. :nono:
Please finish the model BEFORE you send it to me this time.

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
I'm doing the recreation area. I've already finished some recreational cargo to go with:
marsrec.jpg

Here is the OFMM team conducting "tests" after unpacking the cargo:
recroomtest.jpg

I was thinking of making an unpackable darts game cargo... but since all this will go in an inflatable module... i don't think it's such a good idea! :lol:

Now, to bussiness: I've completed the mesh for the recreation area, it's similar to the UCGO InflatBase Life module, only bigger and with windows. (The airlocks are the same size of course, to match the others).
The problem is this:
-I have the mesh done: 3 groups, 3 materials. I export it from MeshWizard as an OBJ file and open it in UVMapper to map the areas i want to texture.

-After that i save again in OBJ format (the UV map in BMP) and import the file in Anim8or, but the groups are gone and the whole mesh shows as a single group.

-I tried importing it to blender first and exporting it to 3ds format and then using 3ds2msh to get the msh file. This creates another problem. Now the mesh has 4 groups, the 3 original ones and a large cube around them. And the UV map texturing data is nowhere to be found.

This is the first time i'm trying to texture something other than a flat square area (which is relatively simple in MeshWizard).

Any ideas why this is happening and/or any suggestions?

:cheers:

P.S. I'm attaching here the cargos from the pics above, you need UCGO to be able to use them.

EDIT: I found Ar81's tutorials, i think i can pick it up from there

Last edited:

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
The problem is this:
-I have the mesh done: 3 groups, 3 materials. I export it from MeshWizard as an OBJ

EDIT: I found Ar81's tutorials, i think i can pick it up from there

I like how the screens are showing them playing Orbiter :)

So what I would do, is export each group as a obj and to the texturing and whathaveyou. Then import all the objects and save it a a single mesh. That way you can split up the meshes. Probably not the best, if AR's worked then good job, and thanks for the cargo :tiphat:

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
I like how the screens are showing them playing Orbiter :)
Glad you noticed! It was either that, or a " :hail::probe: " but i don't think there is a way to show the animation. :lol:

So what I would do, is export each group as a obj and to the texturing and whathaveyou. Then import all the objects and save it a a single mesh. That way you can split up the meshes. Probably not the best, if AR's worked then good job, and thanks for the cargo :tiphat:

Yeap, that's pretty much what it says on
AND with Helior's excellent [ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3901"]Wings3D .msh Exporter[/ame], i think i have the mapping and texturing part of making a mesh "down".

Now, i know that the OFMM development part is not doing so well right now, there are a lot of things to do... and not so many people doing them.
For my part, i will use my newly found modelling and texturing skills, to try and provide the meshes needed. Unfortunately, i have NO programming skills... i wish i could help there... but i can't. (Of course... if you asked me a year ago... if i had any modelling or texturing skills... the answer would be NO, so i guess, it's just a matter of time... and the right "incentive").

Now a question. From what i've seen, the Skycrane we need is somewhat stalled. Is there anyway that a modified version of [ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3081"]this[/ame] could work?

It's a spacecraft3 vessel (now.. that's something i CAN work with) and eventhough it cannot "pick up" any UCGO vehicles (tested), it can pick up -pretty much- anything else. (Even ummus)

Trying to keep the dream alive...
Respectfully,
Dimitris

Columbia42

Reaction score
As for the skycrane, I was thinking more along the lines of something using RTF landable decks technology so that the skycrane would come down and hover over the OSHV on the Martian surface, attach the two vehicles, and fly back up into space.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Now a question. From what i've seen, the Skycrane we need is somewhat stalled. Is there anyway that a modified version of this could work?

Well, I'll retract the Skycrane part from OFMM and do it independently. I have now ~30 pages of specs, some concept drawings and a prototype mesh for the improved biconic variant, too much for letting it die like that. :dry:

It wouldn't have enough payload envelope for all those recreational payload boxes anyway. Who needs food, water and oxygen, if he can play air hockey. :facepalm:

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
Who needs food, water and oxygen, if he can play air hockey. :facepalm:

Don't forget the foosball table. :lol:

My apologies Urwumpe, i hadn't seen anything in the development thread about any progress, so i thought that the whole thing had been dropped.

:tiphat:

Last edited:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
im gonna do sattelites / antennas so no one else start it

Why not use an existing satellite from OH? I tend to use the M-15 Mars Explorer probe from World of 2001 for a lot of missions.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Why not use an existing satellite from OH? I tend to use the M-15 Mars Explorer probe from World of 2001 for a lot of missions.
Wait, does that mean it works in Orbiter 2010? I was under the impression Wo2k1 was totally incompatible.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Wait, does that mean it works in Orbiter 2010? I was under the impression Wo2k1 was totally incompatible.

I haven't tried it and I still use Orbiter 2006. Wo2001 has a lot of vessels. I'd be surprised if they are all incompatible.

If it is you still have Pipers Chapman probes -> [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=789"]Chapman Probe v3.0[/ame]

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Don't forget the foosball table. :lol:

My apologies Urwumpe, i hadn't seen anything in the development thread about any progress, so i thought that the whole thing had been dropped.

:tiphat:

No, just because its not being talked about on these threads doesn't mean its dropped, just stalled. ;)

Sorry for the long disappearance, but there has been some projects launched at work and they are getting... behind schedule. So its ending up to be some much longer days anyway.

We are not doing the 'hard-core' version that was being talked about, but a sort-of 'in between' using mostly existing modules. Just really need to make it all happen is all.

We will see about getting it finally started now.

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
So are we talking, "OFMM lite G8"? I messaged with Izack about making OFMM lite more like OFMM, and indeed, it's already in the current plans for G2. Maybe we should bonk this out on irc?

Also, the CTD bug in Wo2001 is caused by an obselete API function call on some specific vessels, so it's not entirely bonked.

Also, BONK! :rofl:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Crab, I see you've found your favourite class.
54908.jpg

Moving on, yes, I think one last meeting is in order. I'm hanging around on the main channel and #ofmm now, if anyone cares to drop in. Combining the two halves of this project would avert certain doom.