OFMM General Discussions Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for doing this, Tex. It will really help in the general organization of this project. I agree with Izack in that the social group gets barely any use. Having our own sub-forum will be a major helper :thumbup:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Clean - let the social group be the social group. The forum is better to be browsed for bigger topics.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Since the forum is already created with the previous social group discussions, I've closed all threads except for this one until those in charge of the project can organize all the content and post the discussion threads they want open.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Forum Changes

I've made some revisions of the OFMM subforum, so everyone please have a look. All deletions were 'soft', so anything you want back can be returned.

supersonic

Add-on Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
fsxpilots.webs.com
I have tried, without much luck, to make a high res area for a possible landing site.
Here is the Base config:
Code:
BASE-V2.0
Name = OFMM landing site
Location = -68.50 -5
Size = 50

BEGIN_SURFTILELIST
0 -8 -98 1
END_SURFTILELIST

I have a .dds file named Mars_0_w0008_s0098 in the textures folder.
Any of you see anything that I obviously did wrong?

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
I did a quick scan through the wiki page and couldn't find the info, so I'll ask here. What element/material are we mining for fuel? We should locate an area with high amounts of it for a landing site. If I know what we are mining, I'll start pick candidates for landing sites.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I did a quick scan through the wiki page and couldn't find the info, so I'll ask here. What element/material are we mining for fuel? We should locate an area with high amounts of it for a landing site. If I know what we are mining, I'll start pick candidates for landing sites.

It is TBD - we don't even know what fuels we will be using, the favorite is currently Methane/LOX, but theoretically, if you have Methane, you can with some more complex chemistry even get to storable propellants like UDMH, Dinitrogentetroxide or MMH.

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
OFMM: Life support?

I see that OFMM (Mission to Mars project) seems to be considering mostly power and operation of machines (machine centered approach, with humans being only a feedback component of the system), but I do not see life support.

Humans ned food, water and air to live and they produce solid and wet waste that account a very important amount of mass during the period of the mission. Recycling is a key element. There are more and less efficient methods to process these substances.

Photosynthesis is the most efficient method to absorb carbon dioxide, much more efficient than lithium or potassium based systems, for example.

Risks in space are usually caused by leaks, fire and toxic spill. If you carry equipment that uses toxic substances, like lithium based systems, crew may die and mission would fail.

It is clear to me that OFMM may need to consider life support and not just use a machine centered approach.

Research on high performance of man-machine systems conducted by B. Lomov and V. Venda in Russia before 1980 suggests that a man centered approach is necessary for achieving high performance.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
but I do not see life support.

Life support more or less would be integrated, however we aren't going to attempt to simulate everything that could happen in a mission like this, it would take years to code it all, and quite a bit of time training.

Humans ned food, water and air to live and they produce solid and wet waste that account a very important amount of mass during the period of the mission. Recycling is a key element. There are more and less efficient methods to process these substances.

I think the ISS ECLSS probably be a great ECLSS model for us. Actually I was looking for the kg a person would need for food/water/air ext and only just now found the human requirements.

http://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20090029327_2009028591.pdf -pg3

I hope at least we will have something like Dan's UCGO modification for the ISS, where the hab module will have a 'trash' dump feature and food intake feature. The food intake willnot exactly be like Dan's ISS where it takes it from the outside. The food storage should be in a pressurized cargo container that could even be detached later when empty. It could probably be stored along the truss of the station.

Photosynthesis is the most efficient method to absorb carbon dioxide, much more efficient than lithium or potassium based systems, for example.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldn't dependence on a plant source for CO2 scrubbing be a little unreliable? What if the plants don't grow? They also need water to grow and water is fairly heavy. Also the light energy at Mars distance from the Sun is less so it might not let the plants photosynthesize effectively or at all.

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
Life support more or less would be integrated, however we aren't going to attempt to simulate everything that could happen in a mission like this, it would take years to code it all, and quite a bit of time training.

Space travelling or living in alien planets is more about managing your resources than just navigating for fun. Whatever you do will be determined by resource management.

If it was for fun, humanity would have been already living on the moon.

I understand you may not want to include this, for it is a headache. But I can tell you life support is the core of our own existence here on Earth and in space it is no different.

Last edited by a moderator:

guitarist473

The UMMU that can play guitar
Reaction score
just thinking out loud here but would ground ops and things that require an amount of people to work at the same time on only work if orbiter was played multiplayer via internet or somthing.
i no there are alot of programs we could use like orb connect but i wasnt sure if they would work in this situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.