Orb recepies

awdrgyjil

Reaction score
I find installing mods manually, especially large ones, like the XR-2 very tedious. Therefore, there are several mods that I would like to install with Orb(mod installer), but I can't seem to find the file where I input the recipes that I have created on the Orb website.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I find installing mods manually, especially large ones, like the XR-2 very tedious. Therefore, there are several mods that I would like to install with Orb(mod installer), but I can't seem to find the file where I input the recipes that I have created on the Orb website.
You should just be able to unzip the whole addon folder into your main Orbiter directory in one go. Are you coppying files in individually?

As far as the addon manager you mention, the creator is not a forum member and we aren't really able to provide support for it here.

If you're new to manually installing mods/add-ons like this it may seem intimidating at first, but rest assured almost all Orbiter add-ons are designed with the intent of just being unzipped into the main directory without breaking anything, especially the more popular ones.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Sorry for my rude answer.
Once downloaded, put the XR-2 zip file (or other files) into your Orbiter folder, rightclick on it, and choose "extract here".
The trick is to let all the addon files go into their dedicated Orbiter subfolder, which will be the case with "good" addons like XR-2, and many others.

Sometimes (rarely) a developer packages his/her addon in the wrong way, and in that case you should first take a look at its folder structure, just to be on the safe side.
If in doubt, rightclick the addon in your download folder, and tell your unzipper (I use 7-zip) to extract it in "addon_name_folder" (in the XR-2 case, 7-zip will create a "XR2Ravenstar-1.10" folder).
So you will recognize Orbiter folder structure and you'll be able to CTRLX-CTRLV all those files and folders into your Orbiter one.
Can't be THAT tedious! ;)

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
There are some serious security issues using that site. Anyone can upload anything, even without an account.
There is no reason someone couldn't download an addon, inject the DLLs with malware, and re-upload it.
The guy who maintains it was banned here for a variety of reasons, and is now trolling OF staff on YouTube.
Addons on that site were taken from OF without the authors' permission and uploaded there.
Some of my stuff is on there, I did not give my permission, and when I asked him to take it down, he basically said "No, I can do what I want with your work! Go away!"
Just my two cents.

awdrgyjil

Reaction score
There are some serious security issues using that site. Anyone can upload anything, even without an account.
There is no reason someone couldn't download an addon, inject the DLLs with malware, and re-upload it.
The guy who maintains it was banned here for a variety of reasons, and is now trolling OF staff on YouTube.
Addons on that site were taken from OF without the authors' permission and uploaded there.
Some of my stuff is on there, I did not give my permission, and when I asked him to take it down, he basically said "No, I can do what I want with your work! Go away!"
Just my two cents.
That's good to know. I apologize if I may have insulted anyone. I couldn't find anything good about installing add-ons in the internet, and I never knew it was as simple as extracting the file. I'll get rid of Orb.

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
You didn't insult me, I just wanted you to know. :) It's all good!
Yeah, installing (most) Orbiter addons is a lot easer than installing mods for a lot of other sims.
There are some that need config edits, but that should be described in the addon's documentation. Happy addon installing!