Flight Question Orbit is sliding

Satamanster

Reaction score
Hi all.. I've been using Orbiter for sometime. I can't really say if it's a new problem or if it was always like this but I don't think so.
So what is happening Is that my orbit is sliding. I have no clue why?
I depart with the DG, get to my Apoapsis, burn to circularize, and then its as if my apoapsis is catching up with me from behind instead of me going around to catch up with it again..
Have you experienced similitar behaviour? Its the weirdest thing.
I hope you can help me.
Thank you all in advance.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
:welcome:
That sounds like normal behaviour if you have "Nonspherical gravity sources" enabled in your Orbiter launchpad "Parameters" section. You can try unchecking the "Nonspherical gravity sources" box and see what happens.
More info about Nonspherical gravity orbit perturbations here:
Cheers,
Brian

Sbb1413

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/his/him
:welcome: to Orbiter Forum.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
That's one of the main differences between Orbiter and KSP. And this apparently "erratical" behavior of orbits is how it works in real life.

Also remember : when orbiting Earth, you're not orbiting around the geometric center of a sphere that would be the Earth. You are orbiting (mostly) around the barycenter of the Earth-Moon system. That center is still well within the Earth radius (else funny things would happen on the surface !), but moves with the Moon. Ocean tides happen because sea water "reacts" to Earth's rotation and Moon relative position.

And things are actually even more complex. Depending how Earth-Moon-Sun are aligned, the intensity of the tidal forces varies. And while the pull of other planets is negligible (mostly Jupiter), its greater than 0.

Reactions: STS