General Question Orbiter/CMake with Visual Studio 2019 16.11.2

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Just wanted to ask if anybody has tried the latest update to VS 2019 yet in combination with Orbiter/CMake. After reports that the previous update (16.11.1) broke CMake cache generation, I've held off updating my VS installation. According to the release notes, 16.11.2 addresses that problem. Before risking the upgrade to this version, I wanted to make sure that the problem is fixed and that Orbiter can be built with the built-in CMake/Ninja configuration.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I can test this tomorrow, I should have the latest version already installed here.

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I upgraded to the very latest VS 2019 build (Version 16.11.2), which is one patch newer than the one that broke CMake for me, and it looks like it's working again! Here is what I did:

1. Opened Orbiter folder in VS 2019.
  2. After Ninja finished reading the makefiles (and this was where the previous VS patch hung for me), clicked Project -> Configure Orbiter.
  3. Selected x64-Debug config
  4. Build -> Rebuild All

The build finished successfully, and the install files were copied to out\build\x64-Debug. So it appears the latest Ninja version is working! ?

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
O-F Staff Note: discussion about compiling under Linux moved to a new, dedicated thread here. Please feel free to continue the discussion there.