Advanced Question Orbiter core

D-mo

Orbiter Contributor
Reaction score
Is my understanding correct that all planets and moons in Orbiter move along certain modeled paths (eg, VSOP87) and all vessels' motion is determined by the computed gravitational forces?

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Is my understanding correct that all planets and moons in Orbiter move along certain modeled paths (eg, VSOP87) and all vessels' motion is determined by the computed gravitational forces?
I believe this is true for the most part, not all VSOP87 of course, but yes.

IIRC (someone fact check me), Orbiter does have the ability to propagate a celbody from n-body gravitational sources, excluding perturbations.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
IIRC (someone fact check me), Orbiter does have the ability to propagate a celbody from n-body gravitational sources, excluding perturbations.
You can choose a dynamic model in the config, AFAIK. They tend to be somewhat prone to getting ejected from the system at high time acceleration, though. I think for custom bodies it's best to just stick it to the orbital parameters. I never looked into how you'd go about building an actual ephemeris...

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
That's interesting if it's better (in various aspects) to use the predetermined (for a quite big time interval) trajectories of all celestial bodies or calculate them every time during the simulation session.