General Question Orbiter Help doesn't show entries

thuylinhphuong

Reaction score
Weird bug. I'm just getting back into Orbiter after a couple years hiatus (as my laptop fried two years back). I just installed Orbiter and everything seems to work... except the Orbiter help feature. I can see the help window and topics just fine, but it won't load individual entries.

I am on Windows 7, and yes, I have installed the Windows Help program (WinHlp32.exe) for Windows 7, so I'm not quite sure why it wouldn't work. Anyone have any ideas?

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
If you extracted ZIP archive instead of using MSI installation package of Orbiter, and if you used the Windows file explorer's ZIP filter to extract the files from it, a flag that file was downloaded from internet was propagated onto extracted files and you need to select them and "unblock" in properties.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Is this when pressing the "Help" button in the Launchpad, or Alt-F1 ingame, or both?

Can you open the help file outside Orbiter by double-clicking on Html/orbiter.chm?

It may be that you need to unlock (?) the chm help files if Windows thinks that downloading stuff from the internet is a health hazard.

I think that winhlp32.exe is for an even older help format, so it won't help here (sorry for the pun). You shouldn't really need any additional tools to open the help files in Orbiter, but the default application to open chm files directly seems to be called hh.exe. You can also get 3rd party tools or browser plugins to open chm files.

:ninja:ed by orb :tiphat: