Orbiter in XP in VMware in Linux - poor graphics performance.

Scarecrow

Reaction score
I recently got a new computer and installed Fedora 9 as the sole operating system on it. It does everything I want, except for running Orbiter. So I installed VMware Workstation on it and Windows XP inside of that, and then Orbiter. Everything renders fine except for the cloud layer, which is opaque (but I turned it off, and the sky was blue again), and in space, when it doesn't have to render ground textures, I even get a decent frame rate. However, when the earth (or any planet) takes up a good portion of the screen, I get 2 frames per second or less, and simulation accuracy is terrible. I refuse to install windows to my physical disk, which would allow it to run natively, but I would like to run orbiter on my new computer. Does anyone have any tricks for making planets (or everything, if possible) render faster? I don't care if the resolution drops a lot, as long as I can see my instruments and where runways, landing pads, and planets are, I'll be fine.

Thanks in advance!

Scarecrow

Reaction score
You mean compiz-fusion in the host? Good idea, but it had no effect :(. Or were you referring to something else?

Edit: by turning off everything on the visual effects tab, it is now playable. So I guess the problem is solved.

Last edited: