picture.php

picture.php

mother-of-god-meme.jpg

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I implemented a high resolution rings using 2048x1, 4096x1 or 8192x1 textures depending about a hardware capabilities. Pretty good results with 65kb of memory. Will be available in R9

Last edited:

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score

One step closer to being able to fly the whole mission.

Tacolev

Reaction score
Playing around a bit with IMS now that my machine is running again, designs both feature Hlynkacg's transhab.

Mars vehicle loosely inspired by one of Ernst Stuhlinger's designs

Fusion rocket "threading the needle" between Saturn and the innermost rings on a polar transfer orbit.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It's basically doing an old mission profile with a new launch vehicle.

(edit: referring to Hlynkacg's post below)

Last edited:

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
More progress...

The first succesful test flight of my as yet unnamed Apollo project.

Combined spacecraft, CSM, SLA, and LES on the pad, with a [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5846"]Spider Lunar Lander *Beta v2.3*[/ame] is attached as payload. For the moment I'm forced to use Glider's excellent [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5442"]SpaceX Launch Vehicles[/ame] as a stand in for the Saturn V.

picture.php

LIFTOFF!!!

picture.php

First stage and Launch Escape System seperation. LES Jettison is not yet animated, it's mesh and and more importantly it's mass are simply deleted once specified altitude/velocity parameters have been met.

picture.php

Second stage burnout, 300 km parking orbit established.

picture.php

Trans-Lunar Injection.

picture.php

CSM / LV seperation, the Spider is now clearly visible.

picture.php

Transposition and docking

picture.php

LM extraction

picture.php

Mid-course correction burn

picture.php

Aproaching Luna

picture.php

Lunar orbit injection

picture.php

Combined spacecraft safely established in 180 km lunar parking orbit. Mission test objectives completed.

:hailprobe:

---------- Post added at 19:35 ---------- Previous post was at 16:56 ----------

Playing around a bit with IMS now that my machine is running again, designs both feature Hlynkacg's transhab.

Mars vehicle loosely inspired by one of Ernst Stuhlinger's designs

Fusion rocket "threading the needle" between Saturn and the innermost rings on a polar transfer orbit.

I recognize some of those components. :thumbup:

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Beautiful screens, but Orlando International looks like it could still improve a bit...
:cheers:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Beautiful screens, but Orlando International looks like it could still improve a bit...

I wouldn't look at the airport so much, but the surrounding terrain. The runway could always be improved by a runway mesh.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk

I'll leave that to the addon developers. A few high resolution texture sources and some nifty meshes should do the trick. :thumbup: These pictures are just to show that the framework will be available.

For the moment, I am planning to cap the planet texture resolution at level 18. This would correspond to level 19 in Orbiter 2010 (since the texture patch size has increased from 256x256 to 512x512). The Orlando International textures shown in the image are at level 15, so there is plenty of room for improvement for anybody interested in upgrading it.

The images are mainly meant to show that the current mechanism of defining highres surface tiles associated with bases will no longer be required, because the quadtree planet render engine will support sufficiently high resolutions natively.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Any plans to increase the cloud texture resolution? I think that would be a worthwhile endeavor as it would improve the views from orbit alot. Currently even the most high-res cloud textures (level 8) makes the clouds look like undefined splotches in orbit.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Thats interesting :hmm:.

Is it running on D3D7, or a newer Directx framework?

Currently only on the inline client, but I hope graphics client developers will be able to implement the new engine quickly, once I managed to port it to the D3D7 client and upload a new beta.

DaveS said:
Any plans to increase the cloud texture resolution? I think that would be a worthwhile endeavor as it would improve the views from orbit alot. Currently even the most high-res cloud textures (level 8) makes the clouds look like undefined splotches in orbit.
Yes, I should eventually get around to doing that too.